1922's steering rack project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  19:31:01  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks mate.
Next jobs are indicator (including the self cancelling bit), overdrive switches and some sort of cowling/cover.

Go to Top of Page

Jon

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2011 :  16:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks ace love it

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Dodge spaceavan Auto sleeper,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  23:47:33  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've found a steering wheel boss to fit the BMW column. Couldn't find one that would fit my Mountney wheel - that has a 100mm (4 inch) 6 bolt fitting. All I could find was the more modern 70mm 6 bolt fitting so I've had to buy a wheel too.
If any of you want a 14" Mountney classic wheel let me know.

Anyhow - here are a couple of pictures of the new wheel in the car. It's a replica OMP Corsica wheel off ebay.

Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  23:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bril.
That was as entertaining as an episode of 'A car is born' or similar on the telly.

I would love to learn more about the engineering conciderations of my fastback and be able to work through problems and sums so I can modinise my car as id like.

Thank you for this insight

ps if its not raining i plan to be driving mine all over Devon this weekend, woowhoo

Go to Top of Page

turbinecol

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  12:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superb effort, really inspiring stuff. Some people out there just get on and do things, and still take the time to show the rest of us their efforts with terrific forum postings as well. Outstanding work.

Recent back to back comparison of my very low mileage Hunter steering box with an Avenger of a similar ilk surprised me. I actually wasn't half as impressed with the Avenger rack and pinion as I thought I might be. I thought parking was easier, certainly less springy castor action when cornering, but feel wasn't hugely improved and precision was the most disappointing bit around straight ahead. Our joint conclusion was that the Avenger's tyres were fairly lacklustre and expect when those are changed there should be a notable improvement (the Hunter is on new Dunlop SP's, both cars on 4.5Jx13). But we know these cars have always been very tyre sensitive, no news there.
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  18:38:46  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did the first road test on Saturday (well driveway test ).
The steering feels "normal" which is good and with none of the normal steering box 'springy' feel. More turns lock to lock than I've got used to in modern cars.
The manual says 3.66 turns for the Avenger and 3.33 for the Rapier - I'll have to wait till I can drive on tarmac with some proper wheels on before I decide to change to a quick rack or stick with the standard Avenger unit.

Here is a pic of the test drive:

Also a video:
http://s941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/1922rapier/Rapier%202/Steering%20Rack%20Project/Steering-Small.mp4

Had the stop to wave hello to the neighbours half way!
You might spot the water dripping out the radiator at the end.

I might have another go with some proper wheels on soon, just to compare the feel. Normally the 195 tyres making parking heavy work, but the steering rack might have solved that problem too.

Edited by - 1922 on 27 Oct 2010 18:47:44
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  15:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Real progress then; despite the usual un-planned for hassles. Really surprised at the amount of wear that can be present in the reaction rods! Must check mine after 40 years; well 30 on the road .
Mention of good old Ackermann. Yes, the Rapier doesn't have any is one of the problems as both front wheels are trying to rotate at at the same angle/speed when cornering: that's why it has such a dead feel: esp. noticeable when you jump back in after driving more modern machinery. Much as I love the cars the steering is what really lets it down in my opinion. If only they'd done what 1922 is doing now: well with the benefit of a large factory behind them & then we could have had proper steering like the Avengers!
Thanks for an excellent thread here Derek: has been most interesting & glad all of your hard work is now starting to come together. Cheers. G.
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  19:53:12  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got some more done on Saturday. The plan was to get the Rapier back on it's wheels, engine running and go for a drive around the garden (lack of test certificate, road tax, registration documents and insurance prevent anything more exciting).

Naturally this didn't work out as the tyres were flat, the clutch fluid had all vanished and the radiator decided that the garage floor needed a good clean (which is true as the oil pressure gauge pipe split last week).

After getting the clutch working and the engine running I managed to get the tracking set - not very accurately as I've done it with a tape measure but it will do for now.
The new steering arms are a little straighter than the originals:

So I was a bit concerned about the Ackerman angles (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry) so I did the string test to check the angles. For full Ackermann a piece of string stretched from centre of the back axle to the centre of turn should go under the steering arm, and it does. See:

A Rapier doesn't normally have any Ackerman but this shouldn't cause any problems.
You'll also notice a small welding job I have to do.
Go to Top of Page

TurboZed

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  20:12:48  Show Profile  Visit TurboZed's Homepage  Click to see TurboZed's MSN Messenger address  Send TurboZed a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Still about Derek, I've just been so busy with other things, cars and car forums have taken a back seat (excuse the pun!) for the time been. Also due to an unfortunate change in circumstances its unlikely that I'll be able to buy a rapier for several years.....

Regards,
Jim Gough

Looking for a fastback Rapier....
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  20:07:06  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim, I hadn't thought of CV grease. Got some Dinitrol 3125 in there at the moment.
Nice to see you back on the forum.
Go to Top of Page

TurboZed

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  22:52:59  Show Profile  Visit TurboZed's Homepage  Click to see TurboZed's MSN Messenger address  Send TurboZed a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Quick tip on the brake reaction rods. When you reasemble them, use copious amounts of CV grease where they go through the rubber. Its important not to use normal grease as it will attack the rubber and make it swell and aventually fail. It would probably be a good idea to repack every few years to stop the rod ever corroding. Getting the part powder coated after repair might be a good option as well.

Regards,
Jim Gough

Looking for a fastback Rapier....
Go to Top of Page

janmarine3

South Africa
286 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  09:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am willing to bet you won't just potter around the garden once that engine has fired up the first time again...
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  22:52:35  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blue engine paint from Wilco :-)
http://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_44&products_id=3774
New engine won't be soon - won't be till the paintwork is done, until then the oily lump will do for driving around the garden.

Edited by - 1922 on 13 Oct 2010 14:10:08
Go to Top of Page

Jon

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  15:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good i like the factory look blue paint on the knuckle jointWhen the shiney new engine being built and going in?

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Dodge spaceavan Auto sleeper,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  19:28:54  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I refitted the engine. This took all day - I remember doing this four times in day twenty years ago - somehow it seemed easier then...
Didn't bother with pictures of this bit - it looks the same as when it came out

All went well - the engine mounts were no more difficult then normal - just the usual amount of skinned knuckles and swearing required.

The steering gear is well away from the engine - he's a shot from the top:

From the front:

And finally from just behind the front wheel - the pool of oil is the result of the oil pressure gauge pipe splitting just near the union, fortunately I have a spare but it's going to ages to clean the floor up - oh well:

I've only got about two thirds of the gearbox bolts in - that will do for now. I've only got half of them - I hate to think how many thousands of miles Argonaut drove this car between here, Germany and Sweden with only the half of the bell housing bolts fitted
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000