Non Working Overdrive
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SRF

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  23:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As promised, I am reporting back regarding my non working overdrive. Over the winter I have checked the electrical system and managed to gain access to the solenoid by cutting a small access panel in the tunnel part of the body. No faults were found. Today when the sun was out I got the car out of the garage. I drained and flushed new oil through the gearbox and overdrive. I then filled the box with new engine oil and hey presto the overdrive is back.

1963 series 3a
Cheshire
Go to Top of Page

SRF

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  22:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great advice. I think I will check the gearbox switch and or wiring before anything else (its the easiest) The amp test is worth doing as well. I will report back on any progress.

1963 series 3a
Cheshire
Go to Top of Page

Paul

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2011 :  22:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1922

. . . . . My Rapier III to IV manual says that the control solenoid can be accessed from under car.

Oh yeah!? - If you mean removing the side cover and putting the rod in to check the setting, then WSM124 says you can do it on an Alpine as well.

Workshop Manual speak with forked tongue!!!

My Alpine won't float! I need one which does!!
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2011 :  19:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please do check the operating amps, volts etc.
Because we had kind of the same problem on our triumph stag,
cleaned the filters, changed the solenoid....
We didn't know what else to try, until we rerouted the electrics with a new feed to the solenoid and CLICK it all worked again! We didn't use all to kind words when trying to solve a problem we couldn't find...

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2011 :  19:33:27  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was wrong about the filters - I'm more familiar with later J type overdrive.
Looks like it's easy to clean the filter on the earlier types.
My Rapier III to IV manual says that the control solenoid can be accessed from under car.
I don't think I can help much on this one, sorry, I don't really know anymore than is in the workshop manual.
Does look like you should be able to get all the prime suspects with the gearbox in the car: Operating solenoid, pump relief valve and filter.

Go to Top of Page

Paul

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2011 :  16:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you think access is poor on a Rapier, have pity on Alpine owners! - It's totally impossible!!!

Check the current to the solenoid. It should be around 20 amps to pull the solenoid in and drop to around 2 amps on "hold". If so, then the rod is going fully home and you're looking for a mechanical fault, not an electrical fault.

As an aside, many folks aren't aware that there are two different depths of solenoid and two corresponding lengths of rod. Put a long rod in a short solenoid and it'll go to low current but not pull far enough to operate the overdrive. Put a short rod on a long solenoid and it'll operate the overdrive but the solenoid will consume 20 amps and probably burn out through overheating.

My Alpine won't float! I need one which does!!
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2011 :  13:21:41  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi SKF,
If you are sure that the solenoid on the side of the overdrive is working it can't be the gearbox switch or the relay (though these are the usual source of trouble). I've been fooled before by the loud click that the relay makes - I thought it was the solenoid but it wasn't, the wire had fallen off the solenoid.

I've little experience of series cars so can't comment on access. I'll have a read of my Hunter manual when I get home to see if I can come up with any ideas.

Your problem could also be clogged filters in the overdrive leading to low pressure in hydraulic system. A special tool is needed to remove and refit these filters unfortunately but it's something you might be able to make using a bar and a couple of bolts.

Go to Top of Page

argonaut

Hungary
39 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2011 :  12:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a similar problem with my fastback - one fo the wires had falled off the switch that Jan was describing - in my case though i was able to reach from underneath the car and do it by feel. It happened a few times until I managed to crimp the connector slightly to stop it falling off. I got rather good at doing an under-rapier-limbo dance, I found it easier to do if I parked the car with one side on the kerb, that gave me a coupl emore inches of crawl space.
Go to Top of Page

janmarine3

South Africa
286 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  15:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ray.
I can suggest you try what I did on my Ser 3.
Lift the mat around the gearlever and under the mat is a plate with some screws, I cut the hole a bit bigger to get better access to the switch that is situated on the right hand side of the gearbox toward the firewall. Screw the switch out with a vice or similar , remove the washer and replace the switch. There is possibly too much wear on the pip or tip of the switch, or the switch has failed.Some of the rootes vehicles were fitted with reverse lights, and this switch sits opposite the o/d switch on the left, or there is just aplug if no switch.
Hope it helps.
Go to Top of Page

SRF

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  09:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, this is my first post on this forum I was a regular on the old one. My Series 3a Rapier is well sorted but on the way to my 5th annual MOT the overdrive stopped working. I have checked the relay and the solenoid and both are working. I have changed the oil in the gearbox as well. From the Workshop Manual I see that there is a way to check that the solenoid is pushing the operating lever far enough in with a 3/16 rod.

My problem is that access to plate covering the operating rod is poor. Does anyone know how I can access it without either lowering the gearbox by removing the rear mount, or removing the gearbox altogether or as a last resort cutting an access opening in the transmission tunnel. Any advice would be very welcome.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000