Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

argonaut

Hungary
39 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  20:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I can see part of the problem - between the first and second picture there's no noticable difference in the beer level in the glass - you need to drink more inspiration!

Great work and an interesting project, keep it up!
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  20:10:47  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steering column back from Rooweld (http://www.rooweld.co.uk/) and ready to fit. It's been cut and TIG welded back together - looks like a nice job.

I think I've found a Mercedes steering box shaft that will connect the BMW column to the Avenger rack shaft (thanks to http://www.steering-racks.co.uk/). I'll find out for sure when it arrives in a couple of days.

Edited by - 1922 on 30 May 2011 17:40:00
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  19:57:25  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've added a bracket to connect the upper column. This was made using a bit of box section from a television stand. It will connect the upper column to the support bracket on the pedal box - which normally holds the lower steering column clamp.

Here's the upper column with the bracket attached:

Here it is bolted into the car:

The welding you can see on the end plate is a bit sub-standard - I had the wire speed too high on this, I forgot I was using thicker 0.8mm MIG wire

Next I need to get the lower column connected. But first I need to move the rubber bearing to the bottom of the shaft. This is easy with a bit of heat:

Now the bearing is where I want it:

Lower column connected to the upper column - inside view:

You can see the splined sliding section. This allows reach adjustment and also allows the column to shorten in an accident.

View from the engine bay, you can see that the next step here is to shorten both shafts so I can get them connected together:

Hopefully I'll be able to get the lower column connected to the rack in the next week or two.

This upper column is adjustable, giving a couple of inches height and reach adjustment. You can see the difference in height adjustment in these pictures:

Go to Top of Page

Jon

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  21:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work.
Will be worth it when done
Go to Top of Page

janmarine3

South Africa
286 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  14:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow . You are doing an excellent job, your pic's makes me understand how things actually work. I wonder if anybody has ever built all the H120's mechanicals into a series Rapier body...I would like to tackle that, but fastback and especially H120 spares in South Africa is ( or are ? ) scarce. Pop on over to SA and give us a hand then ?
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  13:10:13  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha ha - no I've got enough jobs on the go already

Back axle might fit - I don't know.
Front end is very different, H120/Rapier/Hunter is macpherson strut.

A friend of mine once had a plan to use the front and rear subframes (complete with engine, gearbox, suspension and brakes) from an Jaguar XJ6 4.2 in his fastback. That would have been a lot of fun.
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  13:24:20  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement.
To be honest there was a certain amount of luck involved. The Avenger crossmember is so close in size and shape it is a fairly easy job - without that I don't think I would have dared tackle it.

If you want to see a really excellent engineering job you need to look at Neville Higgin's V8 Fastback build. This guy is a proper engineer!
See http://www.sunbeamcarclubofnewzealand.org.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76:v8-sunbeam-rapier-fastback&catid=38:articles&Itemid=56

Edited by - 1922 on 19 Aug 2010 13:25:05
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  22:55:07  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been busy again this weekend. Got some help from the guy that's restoring my '46 Minx (http://www.buskellengineering.co.uk), he kindly made this plate to mount the support bearing for the steering column.

I then fitted the BMW bearing using silicone sealant - it should allow some flexibility and hopefully will be strong enough.

I bolted this to the bulkhead and refitted the lower column. It all fitted neatly. The support bearing should prevent any sideways movement of the lower column.

Edited by - 1922 on 30 May 2011 17:41:27
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  23:24:06  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Support bearing is done - so time to get the column connected to the rack.
This is the shaft that connects to the Avenger rack. On the Avenger it connects the steering column to the steering rack. Things do not line up so well on the Rapier so I will need a double joint. The Avenger shaft is too long - so the first step is to shorten it, here it is with middle cut out.

Still too long so I cut out everything I could, then ground the ends to a point ready for welding.

Here it is welded.

I cut the Mercedes steering box shaft in half and welded on a 1 inch piece from the end of the Avenger steering column to make an intermediate shaft between the two universal joints (fortunately BMW and Mercedes use the same size shafts with same number of splines). Unfortunately in all the excitement I completely forget to take any pictures ).
But here is the whole thing on the car. I've also removed the rubber shock absorber from the Avenger column to gain another inch of space (and there's already one on the upper column - I don't need two of them).

And for added excitement a video !
http://s941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/1922rapier/Wheel2.mp4

Edited by - 1922 on 29 Aug 2010 23:54:23
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  16:43:49  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Video of the steering column turning. You can that the shafts are almost straight!
http://s941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/1922rapier/Rapier%202/Steering%20Rack%20Project/?action=view¤t=SteeringColumn-Small.mp4
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  16:46:58  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got a little more work done today. Removed the crossmember to get started on the engine mount towers.
The towers are close - but will need some adjustment as they are a little too tall. Especially the one of the left of the picture.

First step is to finish off the welding - as once they are welded to the crossmember the access will be difficult. So I've just run a quick weld along all the joints.
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  20:16:01  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I've been fitting the engine mount towers to the crossmember. Though pretty much the correct shape the fabricator had made them too tall - my fault really I didn't give the guy any drawings to work from.

So after much measuring I cut down the left mount by 20mm.

It's 4mm plate - so it took a while with the jigsaw, hacksaw and grinder. Here is the left mount welded to the crossmember with a couple of tack welds.

Same process with the right hand mount - this need 27mm removing.

Here is the whole thing assembled. I've added some red lines to show the critical measurements.

Next step is to trial fit the engine. If all is well I will weld the mount towers on properly.
The mounts are quite flexible so great accuracy isn't needed on the mount towers - but I've tried to keep the measurements within a two or three millimetres of the original.

Edited by - 1922 on 18 Sep 2010 12:14:44
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  14:38:13  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Progress has been slow over the last couple of weeks as I've been busy turning the apples from my tree into cider.

Here is the crossmember connected to the old engine.

It wasn't any trickier to bolt up than the standard crossmember, so I've welded the towers on properly cleaned it up and paint it with anti-rust treatment:

And some black smooth hammerite:

Next step is to refit all the suspension and go for a drive (around the garden)
Go to Top of Page

Jon

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  00:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic job that cross member looks factory fresh now no one would ever know

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Dodge spaceavan Auto sleeper,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  11:22:36  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once it's had a few coats of paint hopefully it will look like it's always been there. One day I've got to deal with the MOT man who probably will be happy but also I've got to get some insurance and they will want an engineer's report so the more 'factory fitted' it looks the better.

Edited by - 1922 on 30 May 2011 17:46:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000