Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ianh120

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  22:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two new fastbacks on eBay one early h120 in Nottingham a rougher rapier sorry can't load photos but somebody will help aim sure

newt79mustang

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  07:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

£3995
Go to Top of Page

andyb

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  08:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNBEAM-RAPIER-H-120-1972-/230980055144?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35c77bf068

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunbeam-Rapier-Fastback-/380640837172?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item589ff63e34

sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Go to Top of Page

Stig

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  20:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi to all,

is the H120 known to the club? and has anyone seen it up close and personal or know anything about it?

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by andyb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNBEAM-RAPIER-H-120-1972-/230980055144?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35c77bf068

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunbeam-Rapier-Fastback-/380640837172?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item589ff63e34

sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  20:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen it personally but do know that it was offered for sale on eBay a while back as an unfinished project. That is unless there's another yellow H120 with a green rear axle in the Nottingham area! If memory serves me right the car has been resprayed to finish the project and if it is solid underneath probably as good as you will find for the money.

Go to Top of Page

Rapierdave

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  20:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't understand why this hasn't been snapped up.

Yes it's £4000 but if the pics are a true likeness of condition then the price seems like a bargain to me for an H120

Coupes are cool

Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  20:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rapierdave

Yes it's £4000 but if the pics are a true likeness of condition then the price seems like a bargain to me for an H120

Coupes are cool

Does someone need to buy it quickly Dave before you get tempted?!

Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  09:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah go for it Dave

Go to Top of Page

Mooresy

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  12:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get to carried away guys. I viewed it today. I can guarantee you one thing. you WOULD be disappointed !
The chap selling it was nice enough (Nick). He had owned a few of them over the years.
This is my personal appraisal of the car with no offence to the vendor intended, just my honest opinion as someone that has owned many classic cars including two fastback Rapiers:-
Down sides.
Originally a Sundance yellow car (same as the Avenger Tigers) the car has been very very very badly respayed in Triumph Mimosa yellow. I must confess this is possibly the worst paint job I have ever seen and that's no exaggeration. I would not even call it 'one-up' from a hand painted car (I have seen better hand painted cars). The whole car has a luster sheen that appears patchy (worse than the usual 'orange peel' more like over-spay). The paint on the car appears very thin (so no, you would not attempt to flat and buff it). It looks like it was re-spayed with half a litre of paint diluted with 5 litres of thinners and applied with a weed killer spayer. The scores from sand-paper can be seen through the finish along with poorly rubbed down filler that is starting to 'lift' and 'bubble' in places. On saying this tho my magnet stuck to most of the areas pretty well. There a 'sink' marks all over the car ie where the previous layers of paint have been rubbed through to bare metal and the difference in height not made up with high build primer etc. All the panels appeared ripply most noticeably the bottom 8" of the passenger door. Both doors were extensively fillered along the bottom edge (where the door skin is folded around) no evidence of the fold was left on either door only about half an inch of filler covering whatever was left underneath. The drivers door dropped. The rear wheel arches were rusting on the double skinned return lip and for some strange reason their was no paint on any of the wheel arch lips, just old original paint, primer overspay and bits of rust ! ? The window seals were all poor and very perished looking with the plastic chrome bits missing. To me they looked as if you would not be abel to replace the plastic chrome trim due to the condition. Yellow paint was on the edges of the seals due to poor masking. The engine bay was a very messy. This had been hand painted with Crown Primrose yellow by the looks. with a lot of very messy filled over rust where the front wings meet the slam panel. The wiring looked tatty. The front valence was full of filler and looked messy.

Neutral / better points.
The underneath was sold looking with lots of freshly applied 'tar paint' all over it. If this was done to the standard of the upper bodywork then it would perhaps need to be looked at again. The chrome was undamaged and not too bad. The grille was good, New exhaust, New rear valance. The interior was actually quite good with no tears or wear to the seats. the dash (surprisingly) wasn't cracked. Didn't check the window mechanisms and didn't bother to start the engine - no point.
It had 12 months MOT.

In summary:-
The owner described the car as a condition 1.5 and valued it a £4,000 (practical classics guide 1 = excellent, 3 = Restoration). I would describe the car as 2.7 and value it at around £1,500. It needs a complete body restoration and lots of exterior trim replacing. By the way, that is assuming the running gear is spot-on (unchecked).
Again, this is not meant to offend the vendor, but at the end of the day, I drove a round trip of 150 miles which took 4 hours and cost me £30.00 in fuel. A lesson well learnt in these days of digital camera's and file attachments. Get as many close-ups as possible before spending your precious weekends and cash, And don't assume everyone has the same standards as yours. Vendors often 'talk-up' their cars.

Edited by - Mooresy on 19 May 2013 09:34:48
Go to Top of Page

Mooresy

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  12:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can. If something sounds too good to be true, then it is !
quote:
Originally posted by Rapierdave

Coupes are cool

Edited by - Mooresy on 18 May 2013 14:49:03
Go to Top of Page

Stig

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  12:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
moorsy thanks for taking the time reviewing this H120, I was also interested in the car but was apprehensive. sorry it did not work out and you wasted your time travelling. you have done me a favour doing the review though.
Go to Top of Page

Mooresy

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  13:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a guy going to look at it from Wakefield apparently. Its not you is it Stig ?
I can guarantee you he wont buy it.

This is exactly the reason I would never bid on a car on ebay unless I'd seen it first (and it was local). You could travel 300 miles to view it, like it, bid on it, only to have someone pay well over the odds and out bid you. Crazy.

This will be on ebay with free bidding in a couple of weeks, We'll see...

I even drew a deposit out of the bank...
Go to Top of Page

Stig

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  14:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nope not me. if it was put into a open auction i would likely make a bid on it, but if its needing a (good) spray job and tidying up and I am going no where near £4k. would you take it at much lower price or steer clear of it all together Moresy after viewing it?
Go to Top of Page

Stig

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  14:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have owned 2 rapier fastbacks in my time. one a H120 (1972) the other a standard rapier (1968). The big problem I had with these cars 20 years ago when they were a nighmare with rust problems. I dont doubt with the extra 20 years added, this problem can only be worse on the remaining vehicles. I am more concerned about the bodywork then the mechanics. if it turns out that there is not a decent one out there I will not buy. have you owned one before Moresy? if not be very careful you dont end up with a nice looking rusting money pit
Go to Top of Page

Mooresy

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  14:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stig

nope not me. if it was put into a open auction i would likely make a bid on it, but if its needing a (good) spray job and tidying up and I am going no where near £4k. would you take it at much lower price or steer clear of it all together Moresy after viewing it?

I would, personally steer clear and would advise anyone else to steer clear (at that kind of money that is. Everything is relative) There is a lot (and I mean a lot) of bodywork to do on this one. It would be OK as a project if you could do all the work your-self. but it would certainly need taking back to bare metal as a starting point.
I would say, If you could do all the work yourself then perhaps under £2,000 would get it together. If you had to pay professionals then you could probably spend three times that.

My old rapier in 1992.

Edited by - Mooresy on 18 May 2013 15:33:03
Go to Top of Page

Mooresy

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  15:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mooresy

quote:
Originally posted by Stig

I would, personally steer clear and would advise anyone else to steer clear. There is a lot (and I mean a lot) of bodywork to do on this one (At that price anyway, everything is relative). It would be OK as a project if you could do all the work your-self. but it would certainly need taking back to bare metal as a starting point.
I would say, If you could do all the work yourself then perhaps under £2,000 would get it together. If you had to pay professionals then you could probably spend three times that.

My old rapier in 1993.

Edited by - Mooresy on 18 May 2013 15:37:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000