Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  21:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So back in the summer I met Glen and managed to buy a pair of strombergs off him. Good thing as the ones on my car are on their last legs and need replacing.
Now that i have bought the resto kits and have a little bit of time ive decided to sort them out, ready for fitting.

So far i have desmantled them and now started cleaning.
Any tips??

I have a very understanding fiancee

Left = cleaned and right = as it was

I have a long way still to go, ill keep u posted

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  13:23:26  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Long while since I touched one of those. There are fairly straightforward and reliable - as long as you don't drop any of those tiny bits and lose them in the carpet

Those are the earlier CDS type with the adjustable jets - which is good because they don't have the spring biased needle of the later CD3 carbs (those wear away the main jet very slowly).
I have a couple of copies of the Haynes 'Zenith Stromberg CD Carburettors Owners Workshop Manual', I can bung a copy in the post if you want one. No use to me, both my cars have webers.
If you haven't already got one, get a copy of the Chrysler WSM149 Hunter Range Workshop Manual - it has an excellent section on rebuilding those carbs (much better than Haynes!).

Edited by - 1922 on 13 Jan 2011 13:28:06
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  17:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi bud, you should clean the pistons, that go up and down with the needle, with chrome polish, takes all the little inperfections away.
Clean them until they slide real easy in and out there housing.

I like a car that looks normal but can really knock you off your socks!
Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  18:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys thank you so much for the advise

Im having a go without any real knowledge, so much appreciated.

Derek i think i actually have that manual - i will dig mine out and make sure. thank you for offering to send me yours though.

Do you think the fact my engine is now a 1.9cc it will ever run properly on the standard stombergs???
If theres any modifications i should make to mine, please let me know.

I did think about putting webbers on mine, but was advised that it would run smother with strom's and thats before i found out how much they cost (WOW) so ive decided to make the best out of what i have

Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1178 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  18:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with that mate, you're a braver man than me pulling those to pieces!

I would imagine you'll have to increase the fuel supply through the carbs to satisfy the extra cc's.

Webers aren't cheap but they do sound good

Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  21:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers buddy, looks like theres lots of parts doesnt there - but so far all seems to be straight forward, but hey ive only taken things apart so far.

Go to Top of Page

turbinecol

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  22:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job, looks fun. Don't forget to polish the brass tags if you still have them. One of my fave bits to do with brasso.

Good to see you have an original t- piece but inspect it carefully for cracks. The White pattern ones are rubbish and can split after just a few miles causing potential disaster. The other thing is when cutting the thread on the plastic pipe into the t-piece, be very careful a sliver of plastic doesn't come off. It can wedge open the float valve and lead to the float chamber spilling out it's overflow onto the exhaust. Later cd3 are better here as I think there is a gauze to prevent this.
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  23:03:38  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 1840 runs wonderfully smooth on webers - it will tick over at 600rpm and manage 30mpg, better than I ever got from strombergs.

Those CDS carbs have adjustable jets so I'm sure you can get it to run ok - but keep an eye on ebay for some H120 carbs (or you could ring Big Kev if you are feeling rich!).

I'm very curious how you got 1.9 litres - that's quite a jump from 1725, more than 2mm overbore, what sort of pistons were used?. Did they use liners? What about the cam?

Edited by - 1922 on 13 Jan 2011 23:06:59
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  23:10:52  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paint thinners is good for cleaning the brown petrol 'varnish' from inside the carb - but it's rather smelly and not good for the carpet so it's not popular indoors

Edited by - 1922 on 13 Jan 2011 23:11:08
Go to Top of Page

mikesunbeamH120

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  12:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, just to let you know . howard jonhson has an H120 and he had it rebored to 1.9 he used volvo pistons hope this helps ...

Good luck with the rebuild of your carbs Martin, like fastback thomas said chrome polish is good. Also try carburretor cleaner that usualy works all the best mike..
Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  20:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys
Sorry ive left it for a while, but thanks Mike your spot on and i was going to use Volvo pistons, but decided to use a set from Australia - apparently they use them in there 'Utes'

But im not sure how much they had to bore out and if they had to use any special techniques etc.

Although i havent got much further with the carbs etc i have some photos of what i have done.
Also have managed to fit the centre to my new steering wheel - so now it looks the part i think

ps the engine in my company van died today - the big end failed - luckly its not my responsibility to fix it, but still was a shock

cheers

Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  13:54:23  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very shiny - you reliaze you'll have to keep polishing them now

Yup - Howard Johnson's motor is 1860cc using Volvo P1800 pistons, my 1840 Rapier uses shortened MGC pistons, and my new 1922cc uses 1600 Avenger pistons. I was just curious.

Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  18:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we need a thread in the tech section about these different piston arrangements. I'd heard of using other Rootes/Chrysler models but never knew you could make P1800's fit. Now what I wanna know is.... Does anyone have any compression ratios for any of these conversions?

Also Derek... I noticed you posted to your 'Minx mayhem' thread but when I went there.... was no post! Very strange!

I'll start a new thread in tech' cos I don't want to hijack Martin's strommy thread.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  18:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance you can advise where to go from here

As im so so so lazy and not getting on with the stromberg resto i have been thinking of ways to avoid it

The route im hoping to go down asap is converting to webers, only im not sure which ones will suit my engine
Could anyone advise (bare in mind i have the standard rapier engine, bored out to 1.9cc)

The most common ones i see used seem to be 40s and 45s, but that doesnt mean much to me
Im in a bit of a hurry now as Retrocars mag have now set a date to feature my car and im having the photoshoot on 2nd April

aaaaaahhhhhhh

cheers

Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  18:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mate,

Don't know the specifications of the 40's or 45's
but I think it might be short notice to convert to webers.
If you can find them fast, you still need to get them on, running and driving properly.
Might be difficult in less then a month.

I recon you could have the carbs cleaned and put back together (if you have everything you need) in an afternoon... and they're probably easier to tune then the webers.

But that's only my vision mate.

I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  19:08:15  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The DCOE 40s fitted to H120 have 30mm chokes - i.e. the hole through the middle is only 30mm so I wouldn't bother with the 45s it would be overkill and you are on your own with the jet selection.
My 1840 Holbay marathon engine uses the standard H120 set-up and it runs great so I'd say that the best bet is to get some second hand H120 or GLS carbs on the manifold, clean them up and bung them on. Buying new is VERY expensive - something like 300 quid each carb once you've paid for the jets (and you will also need an inlet manifold).
Your 1.9 will probably run fine on H120/GLS carbs.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000