Oil gauge conversion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  09:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good job there! Gauge can still alert you to problems. I've found light only comes on when it is too late! So you'll still be better off even if gauge is not in direct sight when driving, you'll be able to glance at it when stationary and see if all is well.
Go to Top of Page

turbinecol

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2012 :  08:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, never mind, I found one in my spares, which was a complete fluke - 1/8"BSP to the gauge, 1/8"NPT x 27tpi to the block apparently, part number 9151233

Meanwhile, I found there are T-piece adaptors on the market to enable the gauge to be used while retaining the light. Ideal for me as the gauge is going to be way out of view in the late Hunter centre stack (more for show really)!
Go to Top of Page

turbinecol

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  08:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot, I get it now. The light is substituted for the gauge on GT as well.

The key thing is to find (or make up) the appropriate adaptor piece then.

if anyone has a spare one, would be hugely obliged!
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  20:29:42  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rapiers don't have an oil pressure light, they have the gauge only.

You need to unscrew the oil pressure switch from the right hand side of the block and replace it with a brass adapter for the gauge.

One end is UNF to screw into the block and the other is, I think, metric to fit the brass nut that should be on the end of the oil gauge pipe.

I haven't managed to find these in the parts book yet so can't give you any part numbers. But I can take some pictures of the relevant bits if it helps.

Go to Top of Page

turbinecol

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  13:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,
I am trying to add an oil pressure gauge to my Hunter (part of a conversion from Super to GT spec).

The gauge I have in my hands has a tube which feeds into the block somewhere, but I cannot ascertain where it should be - can you Rapier guys please let me know what I should be looking for and is it possible to retrofit unless you have a unique compatible block?

I cannot see anywhere obvious for the tapping

Cheers
Colin
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000