Oil radiator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

janmarine3

South Africa
286 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2012 :  22:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think an oil cooler will definately help to keep oil temperatures down and improve oil pressure, in summer here when I drive long distances in hot weather (35 degrees celsius) and the oil gets thin the oil pressure drops to well under 10psi in idle, not that it is bad , it seems to be just the Rootes engine's way.I overhauled my engine and the oil pressure still drops lowish when hot, like anything around the 1/4 mark on the temperature guage.Suggest get a six blade cooling fan too if you can, scarce like hens teeth though.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Stella

France
132 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2012 :  21:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it seems that an oil radiator is definitely going on my Wish List... (and I will remember to flush out the water radiator)

Many thanks to you both for your speedy replies...

Stella

quote:
Originally posted by Fastback Thomas

the oil cooler will surely help on the longer motorway drives as the oil can get much hotter and oil pressure might drop a bit but if you're only doing local driving I don't think this would much improve anything..
But fitting an oil cooler will never do any harm at all!!
So better save than sorry..

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!

Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2012 :  10:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the oil cooler will surely help on the longer motorway drives as the oil can get much hotter and oil pressure might drop a bit but if you're only doing local driving I don't think this would much improve anything..
But fitting an oil cooler will never do any harm at all!!
So better save than sorry..

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
Go to Top of Page

Stella

France
132 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2012 :  21:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 1922...
yes, will flush radiator before laying-out hard earned cash..

The water temp hits 105 after driving for about 20mins, it never goes any higher and never boils over. (The top of the gauge is 125)

The oil gauge shows 45 (when cold) and drops to 30 (when hot) but never seems to drop any lower.

All in all, I am not really sure if there is a problem or not, but want to avoid anything nasty happening.. would rather take preventative measures, but only if they will work!

Stella

quote:
Originally posted by 1922

Never fitted one but I have an Alpine one in the shed that I'm hoping to fit to my fastback eventually.

They were standard on the Alpine so maybe you could get one through the Alpine Club.

Try flushing out your radiator first - it might just be silted up.

Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2012 :  09:26:40  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never fitted one but I have an Alpine one in the shed that I'm hoping to fit to my fastback eventually.

They were standard on the Alpine so maybe you could get one through the Alpine Club.

Try flushing out your radiator first - it might just be silted up.

Go to Top of Page

Stella

France
132 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  07:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone

thinking of fitting an oil radiator to my Rapier Series V... anyone done this already?? if so, where did you buy it...

Reason for fitting is to maintain good oil pressure when engine is hot and also to reduce water temperature which seems to run on the hot side.

anyone any thoughts about all this...

Stella

IMG]http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t475/cliveinfrance/th_P1030049.jpg[/IMG]
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000