Rapier Numbers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  13:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Barney, I know you had some problems getting on the forum. I see you are sorted now. (We get so many spam requests, we have to release them manually - 100 a week on average, with only 1 or 2 genuine!.

Can't really answer your query fully, but for Fastbacks there were only build dates based on chassis number, I have most of these as acquired, many years ago from Museum of British Road Transport in Coventry.

Not sure on Series cars, but we have a Series registrar who has been collating info for a no. of years, but nothing in the way of original factory records as far as I know? All Series cars would have built at Ryton I think, although convertibles were trimmed in other paces I think?

Rootes were not to good at keeping records in the latter days. Early cars (30's / 40's) had a detailed record of where they were sent and even who bought them,but that didn't apply to Rapier's :-(. Chassis No's of course had different suffixes to denote export models.

Anyway, I'm sure someone will know more than me and post a reply here soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Barney Curtis

Hi,
Is there a database that shows chassis number, engine number, year of manufacture, where manufactured, export or import, etc.
Regards,
Barney Curtis.

Go to Top of Page

Barney Curtis

South Africa
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  09:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Is there a database that shows chassis number, engine number, year of manufacture, where manufactured, export or import, etc.
Regards,
Barney Curtis.
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2012 :  17:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, not my real area of expertise as I'm a Fastback man these days, but you are right that 300 to 301 was Ser III & IIIA's started 305 thru 306. However, export models were 308 onwards: not sure if that was assempled ZA or UK or both, but certainly that is why your cars have a different prefix than domestic vehicles. Cheers. G.
Go to Top of Page

abiefullard

South Africa
10 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  05:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Day,

Abie Fullard from South Africa.

According to the information I have, Series IIIA Rapiers had engine and chassis numbers ranging from B305001 to B3067354.
Yet I have two Series IIIA Rapiers that have engine and chassis numbers larger than B308000.
The cars were assembled in South Africa. Could this be the reason?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000