Strombergs resto
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  23:10:52  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paint thinners is good for cleaning the brown petrol 'varnish' from inside the carb - but it's rather smelly and not good for the carpet so it's not popular indoors

Edited by - 1922 on 13 Jan 2011 23:11:08
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  23:03:38  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 1840 runs wonderfully smooth on webers - it will tick over at 600rpm and manage 30mpg, better than I ever got from strombergs.

Those CDS carbs have adjustable jets so I'm sure you can get it to run ok - but keep an eye on ebay for some H120 carbs (or you could ring Big Kev if you are feeling rich!).

I'm very curious how you got 1.9 litres - that's quite a jump from 1725, more than 2mm overbore, what sort of pistons were used?. Did they use liners? What about the cam?

Edited by - 1922 on 13 Jan 2011 23:06:59
Go to Top of Page

turbinecol

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  22:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job, looks fun. Don't forget to polish the brass tags if you still have them. One of my fave bits to do with brasso.

Good to see you have an original t- piece but inspect it carefully for cracks. The White pattern ones are rubbish and can split after just a few miles causing potential disaster. The other thing is when cutting the thread on the plastic pipe into the t-piece, be very careful a sliver of plastic doesn't come off. It can wedge open the float valve and lead to the float chamber spilling out it's overflow onto the exhaust. Later cd3 are better here as I think there is a gauze to prevent this.
Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  21:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers buddy, looks like theres lots of parts doesnt there - but so far all seems to be straight forward, but hey ive only taken things apart so far.

Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1178 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  18:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with that mate, you're a braver man than me pulling those to pieces!

I would imagine you'll have to increase the fuel supply through the carbs to satisfy the extra cc's.

Webers aren't cheap but they do sound good

Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  18:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys thank you so much for the advise

Im having a go without any real knowledge, so much appreciated.

Derek i think i actually have that manual - i will dig mine out and make sure. thank you for offering to send me yours though.

Do you think the fact my engine is now a 1.9cc it will ever run properly on the standard stombergs???
If theres any modifications i should make to mine, please let me know.

I did think about putting webbers on mine, but was advised that it would run smother with strom's and thats before i found out how much they cost (WOW) so ive decided to make the best out of what i have

Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  17:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi bud, you should clean the pistons, that go up and down with the needle, with chrome polish, takes all the little inperfections away.
Clean them until they slide real easy in and out there housing.

I like a car that looks normal but can really knock you off your socks!
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  13:23:26  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Long while since I touched one of those. There are fairly straightforward and reliable - as long as you don't drop any of those tiny bits and lose them in the carpet

Those are the earlier CDS type with the adjustable jets - which is good because they don't have the spring biased needle of the later CD3 carbs (those wear away the main jet very slowly).
I have a couple of copies of the Haynes 'Zenith Stromberg CD Carburettors Owners Workshop Manual', I can bung a copy in the post if you want one. No use to me, both my cars have webers.
If you haven't already got one, get a copy of the Chrysler WSM149 Hunter Range Workshop Manual - it has an excellent section on rebuilding those carbs (much better than Haynes!).

Edited by - 1922 on 13 Jan 2011 13:28:06
Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  21:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So back in the summer I met Glen and managed to buy a pair of strombergs off him. Good thing as the ones on my car are on their last legs and need replacing.
Now that i have bought the resto kits and have a little bit of time ive decided to sort them out, ready for fitting.

So far i have desmantled them and now started cleaning.
Any tips??

I have a very understanding fiancee

Left = cleaned and right = as it was

I have a long way still to go, ill keep u posted

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000