New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pruyter

Netherlands
323 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2014 :  09:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Good to read that in the end it worked out fine. I am glad I could be of some assistance. I like to puzzle with technical problems regarding Rootes cars, so I had my pleasure too.
I have been following your efforts in bringing your Rapier till what it is now. I am curious to see what the car is looking like. Is it possible to upload some photo's of your Rapier on this forum?
Best regards,
Peter
Go to Top of Page

johnc

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2014 :  13:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter,
Tried your suggestion sorted
I'd spent so long wresting with the problem I overlooked the obvious.I shouldn't have trusted the work of the prevuious owner who had rewired it incorrectly.
Many thanks
John
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
323 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2014 :  10:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

The switches are handed so I can't answer your question from just looking at the "hardware". On my series 4 the stalk is at the right side of the steering column which is very odd, since the gearstalk is at the right side since my Rapier is a LHD car. On RHD cars all is the opposite. Only at the Rapier Series 5 Rootes got in finally right and the stalks where then at the opposite from the gear stalk which makes much more sense.
Now back to your question. As you can verify from WSM 124 the wire at the centre terminal is yellow green. So why not change the wires form both the top terminal and the bottom terminal with each other then you are able to registrate a difference or not.
Best regards,
Peter
Go to Top of Page

johnc

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  19:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Thomas,
Before I resort to changing the switch I'm going to try contact cleaner sprayed into the switch to see if it cleans what may hopefully only be dirty contacts.
Regards
John

Contact cleaner applied but made no difference.Before I consider changing the switch I just wonder if it is correctly wired.The overdrive was fitted by a previous owner but did not function when I bought the car and I am wondering if he wired the switch correctly.It's wired thus,when viewed with the stalk to the left and moving down,top terminal yellow/blue,centre terminal yellow/green,bottom terminal yellow (feed from gearbox switch via relay).If this is correct I guess it's time for a replacement switch.
Regards
John

Edited by - johnc on 12 Sep 2014 16:13:23
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  22:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most of the overdrive switches I know of just have the on/off function...
Don't really know of any other cars that use the 3-way switch... other than the arrow range..

when you push it down, electricity can run trough the wire to the solenoid and than on to the next wire on the switch which than feeds the wire to the solenoid when the switch is released..

If the switch is moved up this connection is broken on which the overdrive disengages..

I don't think it would be to hard to fit an on/of switch this would mean you'd have to isolate the wire that only gets power when the regular switch is engaged (when the solenoid is engaged) and only use the feed and solenoid wire..

'68 Sunbeam Rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
'73 Sunbeam Rapier fastback {AAD 781863 }
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!

Edited by - Fastback Thomas on 05 Sep 2014 22:12:16
Go to Top of Page

johnc

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2014 :  18:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
Following my posting on the help forum I now need to resolve the defective overdrive switch problem.
-Does anyone know how to repair the colmun switch or any companies
that offer such a service.?
-Is an alternative from another make/model an aption?
Switches are available for MGs/Triumphs and wonder if they can be used on our Rapiers as I think the overdrives are the same although the switches appear to have only two wires.

Regards
John

I've had another thought about an alternative and wonder if the use of a normal 'toggle' type switch with a momentary on/off function would suit.

Edited by - johnc on 02 Sep 2014 18:41:15
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000