electronic ignition
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

graham

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  18:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, I am intending to fit electronic ignition to my Series 111. Has anyone got experience/advice about which kit is best ? Thanks.

johnc

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  18:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Graham,
I fitted a complete electronic distributor (around £90 or so)to my Series IV,obtained from Simon BBC,he also offers various kits on his e-bay site.Good product and support in my experience.
I did this in conjunction with conversion to negative earth with alternator. Electronic ignition requires neg earth system as far as I know.
The only downside apart from the rewiring etc is that the origional electronic rev counter (RVI) fitted to Rapiers will not function,it requires changing or converting to RVC at a cost of about £100.

Regards
John

Edited by - johnc on 19 Feb 2012 19:09:01
Go to Top of Page

janmarine3

South Africa
286 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  04:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, I second what John says, I have done the same including the electronic rev counter , mine is a flame thrower complete distributor too from Victoria British. No problems . The price that John paid is very good though ,I added a hotter coil too to handle the higher voltage generated.
Go to Top of Page

graham

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  19:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys, thanks a lot. I have spoken to Simon BBC a
and will buy his system including a new coil. My Series 111 is negative earth, and a mechanical rev counter, so that's not a problem. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
Regards, Graham.
Go to Top of Page

SRF

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  03:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is now possible to get electronic ignition modules for positive earth cars. I have recently fitted one to my Rover P4. I wanted to keep the original radio. The modules are dearer than the negative earth ones. The difference between the 2 is that Positive earth ones have a plastic sandwich plate which isolates the module from the distributor.

1963 series 3a
Cheshire
Go to Top of Page

SRF

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  03:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is a picture of the positive earth module. The plastic plate is silver in colour.

1963 series 3a
Cheshire
Go to Top of Page

graham

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  14:40:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, I bought a Powermax 25D Electronic Ignition Kit from Simon at BBC, had it fitted by Birks Auto Sport in Thame. Excellent result, slow running and low revs lumpiness noticeably improved.
Apparently it is easy to fit yourself, but I chose not to.
Thanks to everyone for your interest. Graham.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000