Removing the starter motor, Rapier Series V
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stella

France
132 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  14:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there.. does anyone know how to take off the starter motor without removing the down pipes first?
The manual states after taking out the second retaining bolt from underneath to work the starter motor forward and lift it away, but there is insufficient space between the bell housing and the down pipes to take out the starter and bendix gear.
So anyone done it, any ideas?

Stella

France
132 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  09:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi to everyone who looked at my message. Clive has finally managed to get the starter motor off, but it did mean he had to drop the whole exhaust first... finally managed to undo all the bolts (after letting them soak overnight in WD40. Now the starter itself is being refurbished and I have my fingers crossed that my lovely car will finally be back on the road next week.

Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  10:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know much about the series rapiers to be honest...
But we had to do the same on our '62 alpine SII it took the whole day taking it of, and refitting it a few years ago... The exhaust had a small leak in it too so... To make things even worse the new exhaust manifold (a two piece "spaghetti") was made incorrect so that the two down pipes were to far apart so the Y-piece wouldn't slide over... we had to pull the 2 together to be able to fit the Y-piece. What a pain in the *** it all was...
After that we started to get carburation problems, probably an air leak, which are now finally gone for half a year, and she's never run so sweetly...

This said, I just want to say if you don't have to take something apart... The exhaust had to be removed but otherwise, leave it alone!

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000