Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

janmarine3

South Africa
286 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  12:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.
I want to share something.
Ever since I installed twin sidies to my ser Rapier the engine would stutter when the accelerator is opened suddenly and while cruising it would surge.I thought , and was told by a few mates, it is because the carbs are on the slanted manifold, now I have intsalled a manifold thast has been modified and the stutter remained.I know the carbs should be level, and I feel better about it anyway because of float levels and such things.
Today whilst tuning again, it struck home. When the carbs are tuned, the caps are normally off the jet chambers, and the engine revs ok.Soon as I put the covers back, the stutter is back.Ther are no air holes in my carbs ( blocked ) and the carbs can't breath , Answer - drill holes in the caps, and walla ! smooth as a baby's bum.
Maybe somebody can use this info or relate to it.
I am by no means a weber fundi and comments are welcome.
Cheers
Jan

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  22:37:20  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There should be some spacers under the caps with holes in.
But I guess that drilled holes will work just as well :-)
Go to Top of Page

janmarine3

South Africa
286 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  07:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that you mention it - the spacers are there, the previous owner of the carbs has fibre washers under the caps, I presumed they should be there to keep dust out , maybe he had a permanent stutter too and that is why he sold the carbs ?
lucky I have not drilled the holes yet, going to remove the washers and see - thanks .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000