Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Information
 Seatbelts in Front/Rear of Fastback

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hanley Posted - 21 Aug 2011 : 08:34:45
I have been looking at this company

http://www.securon.co.uk/ for seatbelts.

Anyone ever used these guys? Also anyone ever fitted them to the rear?

Thanks

Paul

XJ8, Beach Buggy, ZX9r, ZX6r, BSA Bantam D7 x2 , Gorilla Monkey Bike, Skyteam Monkey Bike , Honda 400/4.....and now I want a H120!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hanley Posted - 03 Sep 2011 : 08:33:07
Hi Derek,

Thanks for the pics, looks like a cracking job you have done there.

Definitely the next job on the list.

XJ8, Beach Buggy, ZX9r, ZX6r, BSA Bantam D7 x2 , Gorilla Monkey Bike, Skyteam Monkey Bike , Honda 400/4.....and now I want a H120!
bigt80 Posted - 29 Aug 2011 : 22:52:45
Interesting job there Derek. I have seen retractor fitted to rear parcel shelf, but in practice that might be a bit of a high point. Never did check properly into the factory fitting on my '75 auto before I sold it, but I'm going to have to do something when my Fastback eventually gets back on the road, as I know I won't cope with those static belts after all these years. Good job anyway, but pity about having to have to modify the seat upright. Cheers. G.
1922 Posted - 29 Aug 2011 : 13:57:40
Haven't found the new seat belts yet - so haven't got the model code. I think I know where they are and might be able to get this during the week.

I have got some pictures of the belts fitted to my '73. I found a '74 in the breaker's yard and measured where the mounts should go - I used it's belts for a few years before replacing them with the Securon belts.
Here is a couple of pics showing the retractor units:

Here is how they look with the seat back fitted:

This is all that you can see of the retractor - the side of the seat back has a recess for it (this seat is from a '75 car)

And finally the other end - these are fabric because these belts are sold for use in the rear.

I have (or had) a cardboard template to get the mount hole in the correct place for the retractor unit. I drilled a hole and put a proper seatbelt mount plate behind it - and plug welded it to the back of panel through four small holes.

1922 Posted - 22 Aug 2011 : 18:49:47
Righto - first I have to remember where I put them!
I've got to get some work done on the car this week or weekend, I'll get some pictures then.

Hanley Posted - 22 Aug 2011 : 16:59:25
Thanks for your help with this.

Some pics would be really useful.

Thanks

Paul

1922 Posted - 22 Aug 2011 : 13:40:57
I used Securon rear selt belts for the front belts. These are retracting belts, not fixed. Post '73 Rapiers have seat belt retractors (for the front belts) fitted at the sides of the rear seat back the belt then passes through a loop next to the rear window handle and over the front seat.
If you want retracting belts in an earlier Rapier you will need to modify the rear seat back and fit seat belt mount points beside it.
The only problem is that you lose the springy stalk thing next to the seat and have to make do with a fabric one that likes to hide beneath the seat.

I can get the model code and pictures if you want them. Tell me quick if you need them because I've sold the car that has them fitted and won't have it for much longer.

I've never fitted belts for the rear passengers but have seen it done. The Securon belts are good quality and not expensive.

argonaut Posted - 21 Aug 2011 : 21:08:02
Some years ago I bought some belts from Securon for my fastback. The belts are actually pretty good but I never got around to fitting them. Since then, I've passed them on the Derek (1922) - I'll give him a nudge and ask him to add his comments here.

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000