Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Information
 1725 gearbox ratios

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cckhistoric Posted - 28 Jan 2014 : 08:43:57
Hello,

Can you tell me if there were any differences in gear ratios between various 1725 models or were they all the same. I have read about some models having closer ratios such as a late Humbre Sceptre. Thanks,

Daniel
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigt80 Posted - 29 Jan 2014 : 09:54:37
Hello Daniel & welcome to the forum.
Re your question; this is not a definitive answer, but as I understand it; boxes were same across range in the beginning, but different models had different axles - Rapier (std) 4.22 for example. When H120 came out they put higher ratio diff (3.89) and I have read that they also changed internal ratios slightly to reduce the 'hole' between 2nd and 3rd as the Holbay's engine was a bit 'peaky' and the power dropped off too much, even revving hard in 2nd - if you wanted to achieve claimed performance figures.
So, long-winded answer to say some internals were supposed to be different and a few bits made stronger, but all the boxes are pretty tough. I personally wouldn't be too concerned which one I had unless you're going for out and out performance. It is also said later cars did have higher ratio boxes as you suggest, but I think changed were only minimal.
Tricky part is identifying H120 box from Standard if separated from engine. The only way I've found and it is not 100%, is that on the casing, along with the date is a number - usually 6DA 21055: on H120 boxes the '6' is ground off. It's worked a few times, but not very scientific .
I'm sure there are more knowledgeable than me out there, so hopefully you'll get some other responses. Cheers. G

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000