Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Information
 Pistons?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
johnc Posted - 05 Feb 2010 : 13:08:58
I have a Series 4 with a 1725cc engine with dished pistons,engine number (B13200442 ODS HSO) this bears no relationship to Rapier numbers.When I aquired the car it came with a 1725cc recon.short engine (without numbers) from Grimes,which has never been fitted,this has flat top pistons.My question is why the difference? and I am curious as to what car the fitted engine origionates from.I propose to fit the recon.block using camshaft etc etc from the present engine.I know that the flat top pistons require a Holbay pattern head,which I have thanks to Howard Johnson.

johnc.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
1922 Posted - 10 Feb 2010 : 22:34:38
Hi,
B = After 1960
132 = Humber Sceptre II (1965 - 1967)
OD = Overdrive
HSO = Home Market, Saloon, Standard specification.

Have a look at http://www.team.net/www/rootes/chassis.html

The combustion chamber on the Holbay engine is a very different shape to standard engine. I guess this shape works better than the standard one (better breathing and better able to cope with the higher compression).

If you are lucky you have a Holbay cam in your short engine - if so I would use that, it will breath better than the Humber cam. You'll have to measure it to find out it, the H120 cam has a 320 thou lift.

One word of warning, the 1500 Minx/Hunter engine has flat top pistons, so you might want to make sure that's a 1725 before you put it in!

Regards,
Derek

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000