Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 Ignition problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
johnc Posted - 28 Sep 2012 : 20:21:50
Hi all,
I've just come to start my SIV for the first time in some weeks and find there is no response from the solenoid on turning the key.The engine fires up no problem by use of the solenoid button.The ignition switch is new and worked perfectly well on last use.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?
Regards
John
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
johnc Posted - 11 Oct 2012 : 10:51:06
Fitted new solenoid and all is now fine.
Regards
John
grumpy1 Posted - 04 Oct 2012 : 11:15:51
quote:
Originally posted by johnc

Thanks for that.
Confirmation of what I expected,new solenoid on order.
No starting handle as the starting 'dog' was not present when I rebuilt the engine.
Regards
John

Hi John. Just caught up with your solenoid problem. I have a SIV and came back from a weekend away with fellow SROC members to IoW (from Devon) a couple of weeks ago, and had an uneventful trip. Until, that is, the Monday morning when I tried to start the car. The solenoid was clicking, suggesting faulty starter. But as this was replaced some time back it seemed unlikely. Soon traced the fault to the solenoid which clicked with key but wouldn't operate with button on it. The well know Alpine West Midlands Rootes parts supplier had these on the shelf. Received within 2 days, fitted and all now OK. I suspect you will find the same issue. Fortunately mine failed. like your, on my drive not hundreds of miles away. Hope it goes well. Derek
johnc Posted - 01 Oct 2012 : 09:04:40
Thanks for that.
Confirmation of what I expected,new solenoid on order.
No starting handle as the starting 'dog' was not present when I rebuilt the engine.
Regards
John
vintageman Posted - 01 Oct 2012 : 01:27:19
If there's power on the live side of the solenoid and it works when pushing the button then there are only 2 reasons for it not to work

1. solenoid is faulty - the only cure is a replacement - this a standard Lucas item and should be available from any of classic electrics suppliers

2. The trigger circuit current is not getting to earth due to dirty contact and/or corroded mounting - disconnect the power lead at the battery before unbolting the solenoid and removing all corrosion from both the solenoid and the car body - replace and test - if no go you need a replacement solenoid

Do post the outcome

good luck

David

P.S. you should have a starting handle with a series IV!
Fastback Thomas Posted - 30 Sep 2012 : 18:58:31
Don't know about that... you can always try...
If it doesn't work you can't brake it anymore so why not try to fix it?

Good luck John

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
johnc Posted - 30 Sep 2012 : 13:20:44
Just done a bit more checking and have confirmed that the ignitionn switch is sending power to solenoid,which must be faulty,can these be repaired or is a replacement required?
Fastback Thomas Posted - 28 Sep 2012 : 21:00:25
Maybe just a stupid loose wire on the ignition barrel...

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000