Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 electronic ignition

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
graham Posted - 19 Feb 2012 : 18:03:48
Hi Everyone, I am intending to fit electronic ignition to my Series 111. Has anyone got experience/advice about which kit is best ? Thanks.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
graham Posted - 18 Mar 2012 : 14:40:44
Hi Everyone, I bought a Powermax 25D Electronic Ignition Kit from Simon at BBC, had it fitted by Birks Auto Sport in Thame. Excellent result, slow running and low revs lumpiness noticeably improved.
Apparently it is easy to fit yourself, but I chose not to.
Thanks to everyone for your interest. Graham.
SRF Posted - 28 Feb 2012 : 03:24:48

This is a picture of the positive earth module. The plastic plate is silver in colour.

1963 series 3a
Cheshire
SRF Posted - 28 Feb 2012 : 03:21:53
It is now possible to get electronic ignition modules for positive earth cars. I have recently fitted one to my Rover P4. I wanted to keep the original radio. The modules are dearer than the negative earth ones. The difference between the 2 is that Positive earth ones have a plastic sandwich plate which isolates the module from the distributor.

1963 series 3a
Cheshire
graham Posted - 26 Feb 2012 : 19:39:33
Hi Guys, thanks a lot. I have spoken to Simon BBC a
and will buy his system including a new coil. My Series 111 is negative earth, and a mechanical rev counter, so that's not a problem. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
Regards, Graham.
janmarine3 Posted - 21 Feb 2012 : 04:37:52
Hi guys, I second what John says, I have done the same including the electronic rev counter , mine is a flame thrower complete distributor too from Victoria British. No problems . The price that John paid is very good though ,I added a hotter coil too to handle the higher voltage generated.
johnc Posted - 19 Feb 2012 : 18:42:42
Hi Graham,
I fitted a complete electronic distributor (around £90 or so)to my Series IV,obtained from Simon BBC,he also offers various kits on his e-bay site.Good product and support in my experience.
I did this in conjunction with conversion to negative earth with alternator. Electronic ignition requires neg earth system as far as I know.
The only downside apart from the rewiring etc is that the origional electronic rev counter (RVI) fitted to Rapiers will not function,it requires changing or converting to RVC at a cost of about £100.

Regards
John

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000