Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 1958 SunbeaRapier II issues please help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
58rapier Posted - 06 Feb 2012 : 08:54:38

Hi All

I am busy fixing my 1958 Sunbeam Rapier Series II

I need to buy new tyres and would like to confirm the correct tyre size i need to get? The car runs well, I am busy servicing it (plugs, oil, filters etc) as well as getting new tyres etc to get it on my name.

1. One of the issues I have is 1st gear grates under anything other than very light acceleration and wants to jump out of gear. If anyone has some advice on this please let me know.

2. Also the hooter ring mechanism isnt working altho the hooter works. I will be opening up the steering wheel to see if its a loose connector or something simple.

3. The rev counter and speedo clocks are not working. If anyone knows where these cables are meant to run to please let me know as I cant find it in the service manual.

I would greatly appreciate your help

Cheers

Ettienne
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
58rapier Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 09:06:40
Cheers Clive! Thanks so much
Stella Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 08:25:59
Hi Ettienne

According to Pitman's tech data for Roote's cars, the Rapier II had 5.60 x 15's as original equipment.(24 psi front and rear, 26psi for rear if fully laden)

Therefore to replace with modern rubber you need to go for 145 x 15's.(Classic Tyres site info) Check this against tyre manufacturers if you want to go up or down on profile.

Regards

Clive
58rapier Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 06:24:18
Thanks all!

I cant believe how much of a good condition this car is in. The car is dead straight with only a little rust. When i bought the car i drove it 60km to my house without a hassle except for the battery which let me down. All lights work and all lenses are intact. Windows work perfectly as do the windscreen wipers. No cracks or chips in front or rear windscreens. As far as I can tell by the paperwork I am the 3rd owner, the previous 2 being a father and son! I am ecstatic as you can imagine.

Thanks again for the help, this forum is a blessing!

Ps just need advice with tire (tyre) sizes please
bigt80 Posted - 06 Feb 2012 : 19:22:30
Hi, that looks a nice (rare!) Ser II.
I agree with 1922 on likely cause of jumping out of gear. remember though that non synchro 1st gears do sound a bit graunchy even when they are running normally - a bit like reverse sounds! All your other forward gears should be quiet.
The Speedo & Rev Counter are both cable driven. The Speedo goes into Gear Box or Overdrive (if fitted) and is on RH side of box. The Rev Counter cable goes into a drive adjacent to the distributor. Probably easier to detach at these ends to check if cable broken, but you may have to check clock ends: in my experience they usually break close to either end rather than in the middle somewhere. Best of luck.
Cheers.
Fastback Thomas Posted - 06 Feb 2012 : 19:07:48
Nice Car!!
The hooter ring is fitted with 3 screws on the steering wheel I think..
It might be a loose contact that touches the mass..
It will probably be an obvious problem..

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
58rapier Posted - 06 Feb 2012 : 14:11:29
Thanks I will definately get that looked at!

If anyone else can help with the other issues or knows what tyre size to put on please let me know
1922 Posted - 06 Feb 2012 : 10:08:58
Can't help with the Series II specific bits as I don't know the Series cars too well. But the gearbox problem sounds like a problem with the 1st/2nd synchro hub, it might just be a baulk ring. The gearbox is going to have to come out and be overhauled - not as scary as it sounds as they are quite a simple unit.

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000