Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 Can anyone identify this head gasket?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul Posted - 12 Nov 2011 : 10:14:57
During discussion on the French forum of the presence or absence of the coolant hole by No.1 cylinder, one of their members has posted a photo which has us puzzled.

Gaskets for iron heads are a single thin steel sheet and those for alloy heads are steel-asbestos-copper sandwich (or perforated steel composition like the manifold gasket) and much thicker. The valve order for iron heads is exhast-inlet-inlet-exhaust-exhaust-inlet-inlet-exhaust and the valve order for alloy heads is exhast-inlet-exhaust-inlet-inlet-exhast-inlet-exhaust so what do you make of this:-

Photo © Sunbertrand - Posted with permission.

As you can see from the fact that the hole for No.2 doesn't match the combustion chamber of the alloy head it's sitting on, the gasket is shaped for an iron head's valve order but, as you can also see, it's a steel-asbestos-copper sandwich gasket as made for alloy heads.

So what is it? Is there a version of this engine with an iron head but a sandwich gasket? It also doesn't seem to be quite the right size for the 1,592cc head so is it from a 1,494cc or even a 1,390cc engine?

My Alpine won't float! I need one which does!!

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2024 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000