Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 Fan Belt sizes?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mr A.the Hun Posted - 23 Sep 2020 : 09:30:05
Hello,
I run a Series 3 Rapier with a 1725cc Alpine Engine.
It still runs a Dynamo (just changing to a Dynamator, but that does not change anything pertinent to the question).
I needed a new fan belt and as all the 1725cc fan belts referred to an alternator fitment, I thought I would order the belt for the 1400/1500/1600cc 'Dynamo Engine'.
However it is too long.
Rather than waste more time and money experimenting, does anyone 'have the knowledge' of which fan belt will fit a 1725cc Dynamo equipped engine?
Thank you.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Commerlad Posted - 03 Oct 2020 : 18:36:22
My local factor has a simple rig on the wall, Puts belt or string on rig and reads off the size. belts are hung in order at side of that. quicker than asking for a ###### and having to then look it up in book.

Sometimes I think laterally, but then I have to get up!
Mr A.the Hun Posted - 23 Sep 2020 : 18:13:08
Thank you, yes I had the length, (the old belt.). I was thinking if someone knew already I could order the correct profile AND length. The problem I foresee is that if I go to my local Motor Factors (East Dereham) and say I want a belt exactly like 'this' (except new obviously), they may be sometime looking through what they've got. At the moment it's only one person allowed in the shop at a time, so that would make me as popular as Steve Coogan at a Brexiteer meeting.
quote:
Originally posted by Commerlad

Hi Do not know where you are located but put the Alternator at 1/4 out leaving a bit of loosening off but plenty of uptake.

Tie a length of string around the pulleys. This gives you the length.

V belts are sold by size. A good Truck factor or even Lawnmower repair centre should then be able to sort out what you need.

Mr A.the Hun Posted - 23 Sep 2020 : 17:56:49
Good Idea, thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by 828CC

Sorry, nothing concrete and I'm sure there'll be others more knowledgeable hopefully chipping in, but did the '65 Hillman Minx have a dynamo? I believe the Commer PA van did and both these were 1725 so might be worth chasing down that avenue?

Commerlad Posted - 23 Sep 2020 : 16:02:00
Hi Do not know where you are located but put the Alternator at 1/4 out leaving a bit of loosening off but plenty of uptake.

Tie a length of string around the pulleys. This gives you the length.

V belts are sold by size. A good Truck factor or even Lawnmower repair centre should then be able to sort out what you need.

828CC Posted - 23 Sep 2020 : 13:17:16
Sorry, nothing concrete and I'm sure there'll be others more knowledgeable hopefully chipping in, but did the '65 Hillman Minx have a dynamo? I believe the Commer PA van did and both these were 1725 so might be worth chasing down that avenue?

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000