Help!
 Fan Belt sizes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr A.the Hun

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  09:30:05  Show Profile  Send Mr A.the Hun a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I run a Series 3 Rapier with a 1725cc Alpine Engine.
It still runs a Dynamo (just changing to a Dynamator, but that does not change anything pertinent to the question).
I needed a new fan belt and as all the 1725cc fan belts referred to an alternator fitment, I thought I would order the belt for the 1400/1500/1600cc 'Dynamo Engine'.
However it is too long.
Rather than waste more time and money experimenting, does anyone 'have the knowledge' of which fan belt will fit a 1725cc Dynamo equipped engine?
Thank you.

828CC

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  13:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, nothing concrete and I'm sure there'll be others more knowledgeable hopefully chipping in, but did the '65 Hillman Minx have a dynamo? I believe the Commer PA van did and both these were 1725 so might be worth chasing down that avenue?
Go to Top of Page

Commerlad

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  16:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Do not know where you are located but put the Alternator at 1/4 out leaving a bit of loosening off but plenty of uptake.

Tie a length of string around the pulleys. This gives you the length.

V belts are sold by size. A good Truck factor or even Lawnmower repair centre should then be able to sort out what you need.

Sometimes I think laterally, but then I have to get up!
Go to Top of Page

Mr A.the Hun

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  17:56:49  Show Profile  Send Mr A.the Hun a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good Idea, thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by 828CC

Sorry, nothing concrete and I'm sure there'll be others more knowledgeable hopefully chipping in, but did the '65 Hillman Minx have a dynamo? I believe the Commer PA van did and both these were 1725 so might be worth chasing down that avenue?

Go to Top of Page

Mr A.the Hun

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  18:13:08  Show Profile  Send Mr A.the Hun a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, yes I had the length, (the old belt.). I was thinking if someone knew already I could order the correct profile AND length. The problem I foresee is that if I go to my local Motor Factors (East Dereham) and say I want a belt exactly like 'this' (except new obviously), they may be sometime looking through what they've got. At the moment it's only one person allowed in the shop at a time, so that would make me as popular as Steve Coogan at a Brexiteer meeting.
quote:
Originally posted by Commerlad

Hi Do not know where you are located but put the Alternator at 1/4 out leaving a bit of loosening off but plenty of uptake.

Tie a length of string around the pulleys. This gives you the length.

V belts are sold by size. A good Truck factor or even Lawnmower repair centre should then be able to sort out what you need.

Go to Top of Page

Commerlad

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2020 :  18:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My local factor has a simple rig on the wall, Puts belt or string on rig and reads off the size. belts are hung in order at side of that. quicker than asking for a ###### and having to then look it up in book.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000