Help!
 Suspension
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NigeH

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2023 :  18:00:23  Show Profile  Send NigeH a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My 1972 Fastback looks as if it's got a few concrete blocks in the boot! I'm not sure if the rear springs are weak or has someone used non standard springs on the front? If you have a level one, can you let me know the measurement from ground to centre of wheel arch front and rear, so that I can establish which end is right. Thanks

N R HILL

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2023 :  17:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll get some measurements for you when I can, but it sounds like you need new rear springs. There should be a gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch, when the springs weaken the gap disappears!

Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2023 :  11:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, measurements as follows;

Front - 60.5 cm
Rear - 59.5 cm

That is taken from the passenger side. Drivers side was approximately 1cm less, presumably that is normal for a vehicle predominantly used by driver only.
Go to Top of Page

NigeH

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2023 :  16:50:50  Show Profile  Send NigeH a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JPSH120

OK, measurements as follows;

Front - 60.5 cm
Rear - 59.5 cm

That is taken from the passenger side. Drivers side was approximately 1cm less, presumably that is normal for a vehicle predominantly used by driver only.

N R HILL
Go to Top of Page

NigeH

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2023 :  16:58:57  Show Profile  Send NigeH a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like my rear springs have gone soft.I've got 59cm at front and only 54cm at rear. Many thanks for that

I see from old posts that the club had some springs made a few years ago ( now out of stock). Has anyone know who the supplier was?

N R HILL
[/quote]

N R HILL
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2023 :  22:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the club did have a batch made but that was well over 10 years ago. Have a quick search online and you will hopefully be able to find somewhere fairly local to either refurbish or renew your springs.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000