Removing Fastback Front Seat Covers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Navigator

Ireland
12 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  13:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, has anyone removed the vinyl covering from the front seats of a Fastback. I have a rip/tear about 60mm long on the up right of the drivers seat (unsightly). It’s a clean cut not jagged, the piping is also cut. To repair the damage it would be easier to remove the vinyl from the seat and foam. Has anyone done this before, example, does it go back on comfortable?!?!?
Any help and advice appreciated. Ideally I’d like to get a replacement front seat in BLUE. There has to be one out there, possible from a car beyond saving.

The big stylie

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2020 :  23:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi yes its possible to remove the squab cover and foam.First you remove the clips around the edge under the seat. then carefully ease the side of the seat up.Be careful here the vinyl material tears very easily! Then you need to "unstick" the foam from the edge of the seat frame , go gently as the foam can be quite fragile! Next you'll need to unclip the diaphragm then remove the foam, diaphragm and cover together. The foam is stuck to the seat in the basketweave centre section of the seat though and the foam is stuck to the diaphragm under the seat so the cover and foam are in one piece.you can separate the two but you will probably damage the foam. The backrest cover just slides off after removing the backrest adjuster and two screws visible one each side.Mine is quite an early car so you may find less copious use of adhesive in the later cars!
Go to Top of Page

Navigator

Ireland
12 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2020 :  12:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello The big stylie, thanks for the reply. I did manage to remove the back up-right vinyl without to much trouble. Carefully and slowly is the way to go, ‘a job slowly done is surly done’. The vinyl also reverses very easily. Now I have to set about repairing the damage. For professional upholsters here in Ireland there are some jobs that are just too small.
Go to Top of Page

The big stylie

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  23:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done! Good luck with the repair , there is a trim supply company called Martrim that do a very good match black vinyl , not sure if they have it in the blue though
Go to Top of Page

The big stylie

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  23:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done! Good luck with the repair , there is a trim supply company called Martrim that do a very good match black vinyl , not sure if they have it in the same blue though
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000