Pipe!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tone

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2019 :  18:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, On the carb top body, on the opposite side to the fuel inlet there’s a biggish brassy pipe, which is part of the carb, is there something that goes on it? I still have the big pan like filter with a pipe out the back above the carb and this pipe which is connected to the breather on the oil fill tube. Could this be why it’s running very rich??
Cheers Tone.

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2019 :  21:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Send us a photo of this brass pipe and perhaps we are able to help you out on this one.
It it certainly possible that breathing system is clogging the air filter with oil and that causes the engine to run rich, but there are more posssible causes for running rich and in order to detect the culprit you have to investigate methodically, so start with checking the ignition system before you start on the fuel system.
Better is to use both a vacuum gauge and a color tune in order to find out what causes the rich running.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Tone

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2019 :  10:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter, this is the pipe taken from the left side of the car, phone above the wiper motor.
If I successfully load the pictures I have pointed to the pipe with a pencil, it goes directly into the choke chamber. There must be a connection of some sort on there!
Cheers Tone.

Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2019 :  12:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tone,

Coincidentally I just returned from my garage in which I have a Solex carburettor laying aroud which was originally fitted at my Rapier series IV and.....I did not see such a pipe on this carburettor which is still fitted on the original inlet manifold. The Solex carbuettors on both the series IV an V are in principal the same but the top covers are different as can be seen in the Rootes Parts list. I can see the pipe you are refering to in the parts list.
A further investigation learns that the pipe you are mentioning is the pipe on which the hose from the flame trap to the carburettor is connected. So the engine breathing is not going from the valve cover via the flame trap to the air filter but directly to the carburettor while on my series IV the breathing is organized a little different.
Your Solex carburettor is in detail described in WSM 145 (light car range with 1725 cc engine). In the engine section (section B) on pages 33 and 44 the engine breathing system is described while in the Fuel section (section C) the carburettor is explained on pages 23 up to 44.
By the way if the existing pipe (on which is now no hose fitted) is not blocked off than adjusting the carburettor will not be easy, so I wonder if your carburettor is adjusted as it should. Buy WSM 145 and read how to adjust this carburettor as it should be done. And....this carburettors never had a good reputation only for using a lot of petrol!
I hope this helps a little!

Regards,

Peter

Edited by - pruyter on 07 Nov 2019 14:21:33
Go to Top of Page

Tone

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2019 :  14:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Peter, The Weber conversion you mentioned on my last post, are all the bits available? Can you buy as a complete kit? If so where from? Questions questions!
Cheers Tone.
By the way is the Webber a new, ie, current model?
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2019 :  14:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tone,

The Weber kit is a kit which exists out of completely new parts. The kit is designed by a cooperation between the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club and Webcon.
The supplier is Alpine Innovations and one of the owners is Jerome Senn. The concerning website is www.alpineinnovations.co.uk and the eamail address of Jerome is jerome@jeran.com
The set is not cheap but the quality is high. This set gives about 17% more horsepower, a more economical running and an easy "adjust and forget" approach of the Weber 32/36.
I run this set myself and have advised it to both my brother and a friend here in the Netherlands with exellent results. Also I did recommend this set to a friend in the UK who owns, like you, a Rapier series V. He is a regular poster on this forum and from what I understand he is happy with this conversion.
A propos: I have no business connections with Jerome who is a very sympathic and knowledgeable person who always has time to help one out in case of a problem. If you buy this set than ask Jerome to install a but plug in the manifold in order to delete the valve on the inlet manifold which is ment for the engine breathing. The reason for this is the fact that the valve is to near the 4th cylinder with the consequense of oil damp making the mixture to lean for that particular cylinder and that again causes stalling of the engine.
On my Rapier I vent the engine to the open air which works fine for me.

Regards,

Peter

Regards,

Peter

Edited by - pruyter on 07 Nov 2019 14:52:55
Go to Top of Page

Tone

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2019 :  18:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Peter, very helpful, I shall contact them tomorrow.
I was just looking through the parts book and noticed that the pipe from the flame trap goes to the pipe on the carb, not the air filter body, so I wonder where the pipe from the air cleaner is supposed to go? I’ve looked but can’t find out. Never mind, if I get a new Weber kit it won’t matter.
Thanks again for all your help, I’ll let you know how I get on.
Best regards Tone.
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  10:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I start wondering if on your Rapier a standard and original air filter is installed, because I can't see any extra pipe on this filter when I consult the Parts List from Rootes. So if you really want to know what this extra pipe is ment for than start comparing your air filter house with the one which exposed in the Parts List.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000