New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnc

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2019 :  10:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I've been doing some work on my S4 for which the near side has been raised 100mm and the offside on the floor for about 10 days. Oil is showing on the offside tyre,which must be passing the hub oil seal.
The parts book/manual indicate that replacement of the seal requires special tool(s). Is it possible to do this as a DIY job and if so any tips.
A retired mechanic pal with lots of experience of old cars,particularly Rootes,has suggested that when left at an angle for long periods of time it's not uncommon for oil to seep past the seal and it should stop when level. He thinks that as long as there is no contamination of the brake linings I can just keep my eye on it to see how it goes.Any thoughts?
John.

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2019 :  11:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although it is new for me that the oil should seep out in this position I agree that when the brake linings are not contaminated with oil the best option is to fill up again the diff (afer the position of the car is level again) and then drive the car again and check after driving if there is oil leaking.
Regarding changing the oil seal: it is not a difficult job, the only challenging part is getting the hub off the axle which some times leads to taking out the axle and using a press to get the hub off.
Taking out the rear axle can be done easely at home as a d.i.y. job.
If you need a press than it is best to take the axle to a garage and ask them to take off the hub.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

johnc

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2019 :  12:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter,
Thanks for rapid response.
You have confirmed what I thought and shall see how it goes.
Regards,
John.
Go to Top of Page

johnc

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  15:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
It looks like I shall have to replace the hub oil seal after all☹️. I have a workshop manual (and parts book) which shows the removal of the hub for seal replacement without removing the half shaft,but this requires special tools.
I don't have theses tools and would rather not remove the axle and try and find a garage with a press as Peter suggests.
Does anyone know of a safe DIY method for removal of the hub?
Are 3 or 4 leg pullers from Machinemart etc upto the job?
Thanks
John

Edited by - johnc on 05 Apr 2020 16:05:33
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  21:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

It can be done with a hub puller, I have done so in the past myself but....it did not work always and in those cases I took out the half shaft which is very easy to do. In the cases I got it done with a hub puller I used one with three legs. It certainly has to be a very sturdy hub puller.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

johnc

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  11:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reply.
I can borrow a three leg puller so shall give it a go.

Kind regards,
John
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  15:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Good luck with trying to do the job with a hub puller!
Depending on how much force you need to free the hub from the axle you will succeed or not. When about 10 ton is needed you will have a chance but if about 30 ton is needed then it will be an axle out job.
Let us know how it went.

Regards,

Peter

Edited by - pruyter on 06 Apr 2020 18:26:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000