Rough running when cold
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

72RPR

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2019 :  12:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again, My FB has had rough running when cold, disappearing when the motor warms up. Traced it to loose manifold nuts/studs.. Tightened them up, rough running ceased. Anyone else experienced this problem. Has been occurring over a few months. Told it is due to the expansion and contraction of the alloy head and manifolds. Another frequent inspection to be carried out.

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2019 :  12:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've often wondered about the diferent expansion of Aluminium and steel/iron and the chances of trouble on my series V Rapier. Never had the problem (yet) but a good tip to put the spanner on the nuts occasionally.

jim
Go to Top of Page

72RPR

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2019 :  01:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello jimlagos, it appears talking to Aus friends that the slant engine in the Rapier has been the cause of manifolds coming loose. I was asked to check and see if I had a bracket fitted between the bell-housing and the exhaust pipe! It was said that when the motor rocked this caused the unmounted exhaust to work the manifold loose. By anchoring it to the bell-housing, the whole exhaust unit moved thereby preventing the working loose of the manifolds!
Does anyone know of the bracket part and where could I get one?
Go to Top of Page

72RPR

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  07:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, Had my Strombergs tuned by an expert and the car runs beautifully now. Loose manifold nuts - they are all OK now, what the problem turned out to be was a loose diaphragm on the brake booster. I had recently put on a new one and apparently my screw-tightening wasn't up to scratch!!
Another item to check on the regular maintenance.
Pays to check these things for troublesome free motoring.
Had a flat battery on my '58 Rapier series 2. New battery purchased and then I discover the brake switch has decided to remain ON. Oh well, off to the spares dept tomorrow. It's only money after all.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000