Rapier Serial Numbers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

828CC

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2019 :  12:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an aside: Triang Hornby used to offer model railway engines and coaches in 'CKD' form back in the '60's, though not as an export wheeze I'd guess, more to satisfy the budding nascent engineers among it's customers :-)
Go to Top of Page

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2019 :  11:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Panky, I definitely will die less stupid by now.
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Panky

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2019 :  10:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Panky's Homepage  Send Panky an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Completely Knocked Down, basically a crate containing all the parts to build a car. Loads of manufacturers exported kits to be assembled over seas, I think it was to get round the taxes on imported goods.

Edited by - Panky on 18 Aug 2019 10:28:26
Go to Top of Page

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2019 :  10:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi just to make sure I will die a bit less ignorant:
What is a CKD kit?
Go to Top of Page

abiefullard

South Africa
10 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2019 :  06:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter,

Unfortunately I do not know of any source for this information. Probably only in the countries where Rootes sent CKD kits to. I know that Rootes sent kits to Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa as early as the 1950's to adhere to the UK Government requirement to push exports. I have a Series III Rapier with a serial number of B30806000 and a Series IIIA with a serial number of B30905100.
UK built Rapiers start with B300 for Series III and B305 for Series IIIA
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  17:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Tiger owner I know about the SA Tigers, but the information about the Rapiers strikes me, because this kind of information is always presented ( as I assume) on one of the first pages of the Parts List, so I checked this and found nothing about the earlier Rapiers when it regards CKD kits with exception of the Rapiers series IV and V.
One is never to old to learn and I should appreciate it if you could tell me where this kind information can be found.
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

abiefullard

South Africa
10 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  15:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is not correct, in South Africa the Series III and IIIA were assembled from CKD kits (As well as 73 Sunbeam Tigers)
The South Africa Serial numbers for Series III were B308xxxx and for Series IIIA B309xxxxx
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  12:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I know......the answer is: there were never CKD kits for the earlier Rapiers.The supply of CKD kits started with the series IV and ended with the series V.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

abiefullard

South Africa
10 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  11:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have information on where the Rapier III and IIIA CKD assemblies were made and what serial numbers were used for those cars
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000