Cars for Sale
 fastback rapier
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mattcortina

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2018 :  18:40:59  Show Profile  Send mattcortina an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hi, only selling as i have no time for this project. i have owned the car for a year or so, and always kept it in dry storage, was hoping to complete the project as its an extremely rare car, totally time-warp original condition and has so much character. its an early car, 1968, and has only had 4 owners in its 40 years!!

right so it starts first time with no trouble. it idles and runs nice, its a 1725 so its a strong engine, and the twin carbs really do sound gorgeous- you wont need a radio with that sound! i have driven it around the yard and it drives smooth and engages into the gears nicely. it is fitted with an overdrive too, this would have been standard and original.

brakes- well when i first purchased the car they worked but the pedal was spongy, now i have got the car out there doesnt seem to be much stopping power there! this may just be a case of fresh fluid and a bleed though, i realy don't know for sure.

the interior is complete and good condition. the only let down is the carpets are missing. seats, door cards, headlining, dash, gauges are all nice and as i say, time-warp condition.

the car is totaly complete- even has the original hubcaps on the wheels! the chrome work is the best i have seen on one of these, straight and not pitted, although remember it is all 40 years old so does need a clean, and will have marks etc.

body work wise, well the car has survived remarkably well! the rear valance and rear lower quarters, just behind the arches are starting to go- you can see from the pictures. although the arches are excellent and to be honest this realy is a minor job for a competent diy welder, mornings work to weld some fresh steel in. the only other rusty area are the inner cills, they have started to go and will need a repair, or if you want a replacement. again these aren't drastic, but will want doing. other than that i really am struggling to find any bad areas on the car. this doesn't look to have had much welding in its past, and i can honestly say i haven't seen another as straight and honest as this one!

the paintwork again is totaly original. its showing its age, has had a few touch-ups etc. still perfectly presentable as it is, although to make a realy smart car it wants a re-spray ( i do spray cars so if need be i could price it for the new owner ) the white realy does set the shape of the car off. in my opinion the best colour for a rapier! again the engine bay will want spraying- you can see a little bit of dust and surface rust, but i cannot enthasise enough how solid it is- rare to find a bay what hasn't had patches around the strut tops!

being a '68 this car is tax exempt, free. and now also benefits from being mot exempt. so as long as its roadworthy its optional for you to take it to a mot station. i would not recommend on driving it home- it has no brakes at the moment, and has sat in a barn for a while so the longest drive its had in a few years is a few trips around a farmyard! i can arrange transport via a friend if you wish. the car is located in hertfordshire, if your interested in viewing just let me know.

to re-cap, a extremely rare rapier,v5 in my name with only 4 previous owners, time-warp condition, it is a small restoration project, but will start run and drive fine. and will stop in its own time!! complete car and would like to see it go to a good home.

any questions feel free to message me, many thanks, matt

mattcortina

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2018 :  18:42:07  Show Profile  Send mattcortina an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hi im struggling to upload pictures. plese let me know if your interested and i can email them. thankyou, matt
Go to Top of Page

mattcortina

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2018 :  18:45:57  Show Profile  Send mattcortina an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

mattcortina

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2018 :  18:48:32  Show Profile  Send mattcortina an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000