Appraisal of car
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oldcarnut

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2017 :  14:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know of a decent way or company to appraise a car and get a valuation? I know they are worth what someone will pay for them, but just don't want to under insure the thing. After the £23k sale of a Series race car at auction, you never know what these old cars are worth.

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2017 :  16:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
It gets more difficult, as the price guides published in the magazines now, don't always reflect what a car may sell for at auction or indeed privately. QED - what you have seen recently & Series convertibles fetching nearly 20k!
Club used to have input into price guides published in Classic press, but not sure that happens so much now.
Club did provide a service for giving valuations for insurance purposes, but this, for reasons stated is not an exact science anymore & increasing more difficult to do without seeing the car; not least then coming up with a sensible figure.
I don't know of any companies that do this, but I would not be surprised if there wasn't such a Co. I'm sure it would cost though.
I guess classic insurers have to keep pace with the market as customers look to up their valuations when they see what similar cars are fetching!
Not really any help to you I guess, but just stating my thoughts on the topic.
Cheers. G
Go to Top of Page

oldcarnut

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2017 :  18:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was an old MGB or something, would be quite easy. I know how much the car owes me with resto. and rally parts etc., so will probably take a good guess and insure it from there. Must admit to being a bit shocked what the race car made at the Silverstone auction (just shy of 24k). Don't think my old girl will be worth that, but it is a bit rare being Series 2 1957. Would run in pre 1960 classic rally class. Nice to own, and looking forward to using it during the season.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000