1969 Sunbeam Alpine GT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RadicalMyke

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  16:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New to the club, Bought a 69 sunbeam alpine gt 4 years ago restored it and finished it Friday put it on the road. Transmission locked up in 50 feet. How would I tell what transmission is in it I think it might be a T35. Anyone know what other cars have the same or what manul transmission I can put In. Also what format do I need to load photos to the site. Thanks

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  17:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello RadicalMyke,
Welcome to the forum ; sorry it is in such unfortunate circumstances. Didn't know they exported an auto version of the Rapier (Alpine GT) to Canada. Would have the 3 speed Borg Warner 35 transmission I would think. I have heard of this locking up problem: might have been due to standing for many years? I guess you changed ATF & filter before venturing off. I'm not up on those boxes, but sounds like a problem with the torque converter locking up, but there will be others more knowledgeable than me on here.
Lots of cars of the period used the BW35. Changing to manual involves a few bits; pedal box/O'drive wiring/ prop/different console are a few things I can think of.
As for photos they need to be less than 1mb I would say and then easy to upload by inserting image file on the message creation screen. Or you can put a link in to an on-line photo site like photobucket etc.
Good to see some photos and details of the car in due course, but obviously your main task is to get it running again! All the best. G.
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2016 :  16:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be tough to get your hands on all the stuff you would need to carry out a conversion, although most of it comes up from time to time on ebay and some of the posters on here would probably have some of the stuff you would need. Other than the Alpine GT I don't think they sold any cars in the US and Canada with the later 4 speed manual and overdrive. Probably only the late model Alpine roadster that had the 4 speed manual is the only car that could give you what you need, but I don't think any had the overdrive unit fitted.

If you could source the gearbox locally so as to keep your delivery costs down the rest wouldn't cost a lot, but you would also need to add a flywheel and replacement ring gear and pinion for the differential to Glen's shopping list if you wanted it to be correct.

'Seaview' on here has an Alpine GT in Wisconsin IIRC. He might be worth giving a knock as he may know of other owners who might be able to help you out.

Tim

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000