New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JonandJude

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  18:04:21  Show Profile  Visit JonandJude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
New to the forum but not new to Holbay's. Many years ago myself and a mate built a Lotus 7 replica out of a combination of Humber Sceptre and Holbay Hunter.....quite the little beast.
So back to today and I am finally able to take a serious look for the ultimate car, a Rapier H120.
Got the money burning a hole in my pocket so want to make sure it goes to the right place. Actually just missed a car today, was on the phone to the seller as the new buyer drove away :(
So over to you guys, what's out there folks?
Cheers
Jon

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  14:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Jon and as an H120 owner myself it is good that a few people are now looking into buying the model. As you probably know they are fairly rare and it tends to be the forgotten unloved examples that come up for sale with the better ones being kept safe!

Are you looking for one that is ready to drive or are you happy to take on a project?

Go to Top of Page

JonandJude

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  18:35:40  Show Profile  Visit JonandJude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi JPS and thanks for the welcome. Yes in fact I did look on how many left and supposedly there are only 6 taxed with another 18 or so on SORN! ! Which does seem a little low but you guys would probably know better. I can't believe I missed what looked like a beaut by about half an hour yesterday, it had even got the original orange air box and the plastic screen wash bag, it was in Twickenham if anyone knows who's that was, it was advertised on piston heads?
As to what I'm looking for, well I reckon from what I read on here that my budget will probably stretch to a decent driver and I do have a need for an occasional use car for when I'm not in the van, so wouldn't that be lovely.
As for a project, well we have the equipment if not necessarily the skills ;) the father in law has just completed a '61 Farina that he ended up having to make repair panels for and a couple of years ago I did a '69 midget, so yes it could be done just doubt I have the time for lots of body work. Mechanical overhauls are more my kind of thing which is why I enjoyed the midget, apart from a couple of floor to sill repair panels it was all spanner work.
I suppose a better question would be, which of you guys fancies a new project and needs to sell the existing car to finance and make room for it lol worth asking :)
Go to Top of Page

bluesunbeam1725

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  18:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that could of been me as i bought a h120 yesterday. ian
Go to Top of Page

JonandJude

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  20:07:52  Show Profile  Visit JonandJude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha was it a rather bright green one from Twickenham? Hope it's as good as it looked in the ad, mind you if you decide it's not for you you know where I am.
Oh buy the way did you see the boxes of spares I assume the same chap has stuck on ebay today?

Edited by - JonandJude on 30 Aug 2014 20:24:03
Go to Top of Page

bluesunbeam1725

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  20:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes that's the one,yes just seen the spares on ebay its the same garage,but the car did come with quite a few spares and the bloke seemed genuine enough,so pleased with the car so far thanks ian
Go to Top of Page

JonandJude

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  20:06:08  Show Profile  Visit JonandJude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh god she's threatening to buy a mini if I don't get a car sorted soon, praying to the Holbay gods.
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  21:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonandJude

Oh god she's threatening to buy a mini if I don't get a car sorted soon, praying to the Holbay gods.

Oh dear that's not good. You need to find some bad mini reviews quick and convince her it's a bad idea!

Go to Top of Page

Arran

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  23:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Arran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonandJude

Need a divorce lawyer?

Best greetings from the Isle of Arran in Scotland.
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  12:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon, I know for a Holbay engined fastback for sale if that is of interest?

Go to Top of Page

JonandJude

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  09:40:25  Show Profile  Visit JonandJude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry been off for a week but yes very interested thank you.
Can you link here or send direct to 07988 518176.
Cheers
Jon
Go to Top of Page

JonandJude

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2014 :  18:55:19  Show Profile  Visit JonandJude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any news Jason, interested to find out more?
Thanks
Jon
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2014 :  11:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Jon, just got back from holiday.

Chap selling the fastback is Bernard, his number is 01594 562654.

Go to Top of Page

JonandJude

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2014 :  22:02:01  Show Profile  Visit JonandJude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jason,
Will take a look/phone call in the morning.
Cheers
Jon
Go to Top of Page

bluesunbeam1725

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  18:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jon,not sure if you have seen the h120 for sale on www.carandclassic bit pricey though at over £10,000 ian
Go to Top of Page

JonandJude

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  21:18:16  Show Profile  Visit JonandJude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ian,
Yes indeed I have. Lovely and great to see another returned to the road but to rich for me and if I'm honest, £10k and then I have to start spending money on it??
If money was no object I'd buy it tomorrow but unfortunately not :(
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000