New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Arran

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  21:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Arran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday we arrived shattered and tired after 1 hour Ferry and all together 10 hours train from Glasgow at about 20:45 in Newton Abbot. Luckily we got a good meal and had an early sleep at a good Best Western Hotel.

In the morning Esther brought us with the white Fastback «George»; and after all the paper work and the payment, the car became ours. Ester gave us also a good run and let me drive the first miles under her surveillance.

After this, we drove about 80 miles via Bristol over the oldder of the Severn Bridges and then continued a few miles further.

The car has a few funny ones: rev counter, temperature and petrol content dials are not working, but this is just a little blemish. Perhaps somebody has a good source to mend that, while we drive north? Otherwise the car had a very good behaviour. I was really quick in re-using the overdrive.

Has anyone an idea how the ratio Petrol to Additive should be? Apparently the car has not been converted to use straight unleaded. This is probably for me the most important issue at the moment, as we certainly need petrol.

So, many thanks in advance for any good information.

I will put up pics at a later day, todays were not really presentable...

Best greetings from the Isle of Arran in Scotland.

Edited by - Arran on 16 Nov 2013 21:57:51

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  22:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear George has gone to a good home, I know Esther had a tough call to make in selling him.

As for fuel additive, use Millers VSP power plus;

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/tds-automotive.asp?prodsegmentID=911§or=Classics

My holbay head has hardened valve seats and I think yours does too being an alloy head but not 100% sure.

In any case, as you'll see from the link the Millers additive protects against valve seat recession as well as the adverse effects of ethanol.

Congrats again on the purchase.

Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  08:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that all aluminium heads have the hardened inserts fitted so agree with Jason in that a fuel additive should not be required. Also on the tacho and guages faults. It sounds like it could be poor connections within the wiring. Fortunately the wiring on 70's cars is fairly easy to follow if you have a diagram.

Get a Haynes manual off of ebay, if one didn't come with the car, and give the wiring diagrams a looking at. I've probably got a spare fuel level sender unit if needed and new engine temperature transducers can be bought from Speedy's.

Something to keep you busy over the winter!

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').

Edited by - arrocuda on 17 Nov 2013 08:11:20
Go to Top of Page

Arran

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:38:06  Show Profile  Visit Arran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this advise. I continue then with the additive, Esther has left in the car, Redex until I have finished it, then changing to your suggestion of Millars Oil.

To drive home, I can live without the rev indicator, and Esther has assured me, that she had made 160 miles after a refill and the meter has only moved about a quarter. So I fill up somwhere today and then i can see for myself.

I have the Hynes manual, the original Owners manual and another one, so it should be easy to follow your clues.

I will let you know more during my travel home.

Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  10:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The additive is still a good idea for the ethanol protection, that stuff is pretty nasty!

Go to Top of Page

Arran

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  21:55:56  Show Profile  Visit Arran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After a stroll of about one and a half hour in the Forest of Dean, we landed in Warwick. Had a very good meal in an italian restaurant and are now ripe for bed. Everything went smooth with the car and the petrol gauge is now on about a quarter. So, tomorrow, I do a refill.

Edited by - Arran on 18 Nov 2013 08:08:50
Go to Top of Page

Arran

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  09:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Arran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday we were visiting our son in Edinburgh and confronted him with the Fastback. He liked the look, but with the security he was quite unhappy. He never saw a car without the modern 4 or 5 security belts, could not understand why a car without airbag is allowed on the roads, etc. Also other mod cons «were missing»: automatic windows, 1 key for all locks, etc. At least he really liked the dashboard.
Driving in Edi on a Saturday afternoon was quite hard work. But we coped.

Now it is direction home, I hope we reach the 15:15h ferry at Ardrossan, besides my wife wants to have a stop at Ikea.

Next report then from Arran.

Go to Top of Page

andyb

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  11:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's some road trip you have been on !

sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Go to Top of Page

Arran

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2013 :  15:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Arran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all

Now I have a few questions for the odd thing I can not find or is not working.

· The Clock does not work properly. Any idea to look for?

· Where is the Zero-Switch to put the top miles counter to zero?

· Where can I switch the backwindows heater on? There are definitively the usual black heating cables in the glass.

· Can somebody recommend a good coach works for the small rusty bits (preferably on the west side) in Scotland?

· Has anybody experience in installing a back windscreenwasher?

· Has anybody experience in installing a front windscreenwasher with intermittend function?

· What for is a hole in a piece of metal on the left side of the steering column?

I was today at a car mechanic shop in Brodick. The owner had probably the broadest smile on his face when I showed him the car and immediately commanded his three young employees (sort of apprentice, I guess) around the bonnet with the word: «here you can see at last a REAL car» and then explained them the most important parts. They all looked reasonably impressed.
Funny, that one of them was just replacing a frontlight bulb in a very new car; Angus pointed out, that the replacement will cost the owner over 200£ bulb extra.

He also seems to be able to repair the rev-counter and recommended to exchange the front lights to halogen (I come back to this in the other thread under »wanted»).

Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2013 :  19:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some answers for you ;

The clocks are not the most reliable, you could have the internals replaced with modern electrics but it is fairly expensive.

Trip reset is at the side of the steering column on the left. Twist the knob and it will reset.

Rear screen heater switch will be somewhere under the dash, also to the left of the steering column most likely.

You can buy a switch that will give you intermittent wipers, I've just removed the one that was fitted to my fastback because I won't use it. You'd need someone who knows how to wire it into the original wiper switch. As for a rear wiper I think you would struggle to find a suitable place to fit one plus it would look rather horrible in my opinion.

Not sure what you mean about the hole in the metal, can you take a picture?

Go to Top of Page

retro68

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2013 :  21:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,i havent had any personal experience but i read an article about "RM Bodywork" based in East Kilbride,their work looked very good and they deal with classics as well modern cars, good luck with the Rapier and enjoy, ANDY.
Go to Top of Page

Arran

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2013 :  18:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Arran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your responses.

To retro68:
I found the website, but the email-fuction gives a 404-error. So, I will try it on Monday by phone.

To JPSH120:
the easy ones (hole and trip contol) first: trip control solved, hole use still unclear, see picture.

Rear screen heater: I did not find anything. Could that be the «hole»

Clock: OK, good to know. Luckily we all have nice Swatches I bought a few months back in Switzerland. So I wait and put that to the long list of non-necessary items.

Wipers: I know I find here a keen garagist who would like to do this. So, if you want to sell, I want to buy. By Email? I quite agree, that the rear wipers might not look too good, so this is also put on the long bank.

Edited by - Arran on 30 Nov 2013 18:41:40
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  21:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, hole is an aftermarket bracket for a switch for something! HRW?

Re clock: Early ones worked by storing a little charge every so often and would then run on without battery connected. Then slightly later with thin hands had adjustment for + & - on them and later ones with thick hands were very unreliable. I've got mine working by pulling out and adjusting the time each time it stops and eventually it starting working again: still stops now and again, but doing that did seem to help Not very scientific. Club has some s/hand clocks. G.
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  08:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes as Glen said the hole used to house a switch of some description. Just had a thought, some early fastbacks didn't have a heated rear screen and I suppose it is possible yours had had a screen replacement (heated in place of non heated) but the wiring does not exist?

Are there are any wires (green and black I think) visible at the side of the rear window from inside the car??

Go to Top of Page

Arran

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  12:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Arran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, thanks, there is a cable green and black visible in the boot from where it goes along to the front, disappering in direction of front on the drivers side. So another job for Angus.

For the clock: I will follow your advice for the moment and hope it will work, if I bring it often to the right time by turning the timesetting knob. Maybe Angus has a solution for this too.

I am copying your comments on a document which I will then discuss with my mechanic (Angus). I myself have definitively two very left hands to work manually. The maximum I can do is to hand the thottle pedal in when it has fallen out...

Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  19:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JPSH120

Yes as Glen said the hole used to house a switch of some description. Just had a thought, some early fastbacks didn't have a heated rear screen

I don't think Fastbacks had the option of an HRW until 1971. Standard from c. Aug '73 I think, or could be '74. The memory is going J.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000