Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 Electronic Distributor 1725cc w/cable drive Tacho

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mr A.the Hun Posted - 06 Oct 2020 : 16:58:14
Hello Sunbeam Knowledge Collective.
Does anyone have an Electronic distributor, fitted to a 1725cc engine with a cable driven Tachometer. If so, do you know the make and model of your Distributor?
I have tried Simon BBC, but they are worried their version sits 3mm further into the block than mine, and is therefore probably not suitable.
Trawling the internet, it does seem as if electronic distributors are readily available if you have an Electronic Tachometer. But I don't, obviously.
Thank you in advance if you know the answer.

Series 3 Rapier with 1725cc Alpine Engine - Cable driven Tacho. UK

Just for clarity, I am not going to fit an Electronic Tachometer, or buy a different car.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mr A.the Hun Posted - 11 Oct 2020 : 06:30:28
quote:
Originally posted by pruyter

Well this is not a bad idea at all what Rapier 123 is suggesting.
Powerspark sells kits like this in a price range from about 35 GBP up to 40 GBP. This kit replaces both contact points and condenser and the kit is fitted within a quarter of an hour.
So why not contacting Simon from BBC and ask him is such a kit is available for your specific Lucas distributor?

Regards,

Peter

I agree, thank you very much. And thank you everybody.
Mr A.the Hun Posted - 11 Oct 2020 : 06:26:59
quote:
Originally posted by 828CC

'Thank you in advance..'
Would that be centrifugal or vacuum?
(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
I had a Sparkrite 2000 piggy backed on the coil on mine back in the day, not sure if it made a sh*t's worth of difference, but the 'built in timing light' was a natty feature....
Hope somebody can supply a satisfactory/sensible answer.

😁 How many Ohms couldn’t you resist?
Mr A.the Hun Posted - 11 Oct 2020 : 06:25:11
quote:
Originally posted by rapier123

Can you not just fit an electronic ignition to your original distributor? if it hasn't got excessive wear.

Indeed, this was always going to be my second line of attack (because of the extra ‘electronic box’ required). And I have now ordered one as it appears there is not an electronic version of the DM2P4 with tachometer drive (in the UK anyway).
pruyter Posted - 08 Oct 2020 : 12:30:51
Well this is not a bad idea at all what Rapier 123 is suggesting.
Powerspark sells kits like this in a price range from about 35 GBP up to 40 GBP. This kit replaces both contact points and condenser and the kit is fitted within a quarter of an hour.
So why not contacting Simon from BBC and ask him is such a kit is available for your specific Lucas distributor?

Regards,

Peter
828CC Posted - 08 Oct 2020 : 10:47:42
'Thank you in advance..'
Would that be centrifugal or vacuum?
(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
I had a Sparkrite 2000 piggy backed on the coil on mine back in the day, not sure if it made a sh*t's worth of difference, but the 'built in timing light' was a natty feature....
Hope somebody can supply a satisfactory/sensible answer.
rapier123 Posted - 08 Oct 2020 : 08:56:58
Can you not just fit an electronic ignition to your original distributor? if it hasn't got excessive wear.

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000