Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 Rough running when cold

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
72RPR Posted - 06 Aug 2019 : 12:13:37
Hello again, My FB has had rough running when cold, disappearing when the motor warms up. Traced it to loose manifold nuts/studs.. Tightened them up, rough running ceased. Anyone else experienced this problem. Has been occurring over a few months. Told it is due to the expansion and contraction of the alloy head and manifolds. Another frequent inspection to be carried out.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
72RPR Posted - 05 Sep 2019 : 07:39:20
Hi guys, Had my Strombergs tuned by an expert and the car runs beautifully now. Loose manifold nuts - they are all OK now, what the problem turned out to be was a loose diaphragm on the brake booster. I had recently put on a new one and apparently my screw-tightening wasn't up to scratch!!
Another item to check on the regular maintenance.
Pays to check these things for troublesome free motoring.
Had a flat battery on my '58 Rapier series 2. New battery purchased and then I discover the brake switch has decided to remain ON. Oh well, off to the spares dept tomorrow. It's only money after all.
72RPR Posted - 26 Aug 2019 : 01:13:41
Hello jimlagos, it appears talking to Aus friends that the slant engine in the Rapier has been the cause of manifolds coming loose. I was asked to check and see if I had a bracket fitted between the bell-housing and the exhaust pipe! It was said that when the motor rocked this caused the unmounted exhaust to work the manifold loose. By anchoring it to the bell-housing, the whole exhaust unit moved thereby preventing the working loose of the manifolds!
Does anyone know of the bracket part and where could I get one?
jimlagos Posted - 06 Aug 2019 : 12:32:23
I've often wondered about the diferent expansion of Aluminium and steel/iron and the chances of trouble on my series V Rapier. Never had the problem (yet) but a good tip to put the spanner on the nuts occasionally.

jim

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000