Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Gallery
 Your Cars
 Rolling road tune-up

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
steveh120 Posted - 10 Sep 2018 : 20:31:39
After 10 years of owning my h120 finally decided that a rolling road tune-up would probably be better than what I can do in the garage.... what an improvement! Just smoother throughout the rev range. Very interesting to be given the power and torque curve printout. 96.7 bhp at 5010rpm, 111.2 lb/ft at 4120 rpm. So, down on published figures, but how exaggerated they were at the time I have no idea.... mine is one of the last as a 1976 car, so had the more restrictive air filter. At 31000 genuine miles and never touched other than head gasket, probably not bad. Really nice to drive irrespective!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
steveh120 Posted - 20 Sep 2018 : 19:33:13
You're right Glen, I always love driving the h120, and it gets so many complements - most people have no clue what it is.... Absolutely determined to get properly involved with the club, the past few years have been so busy it's just been something that's taken a back seat. Need to fix that.
bigt80 Posted - 20 Sep 2018 : 12:03:26
Absolutely: good figures indeed & great result. Of course being a Rapier it was great to drive before & now even better . I think Fastback's are on the up - been un-loved by many for too long G.
quote:
Originally posted by steveh120

Thanks Glen. If you're correct, I'm very happy with my figures! Irrespective, as I wrote, it's great to drive now anyway. Wish I'd had it properly tuned on a rolling road long ago....

1922 Posted - 16 Sep 2018 : 10:12:55
Chrysler manual WSM149 quotes the Holbay engine at 110 gross, 93 or 95 DIN. 106lb/ft for early and 109 il/ft for later.

Looks to me that you might be slightly above figures.
UMU Posted - 16 Sep 2018 : 08:20:29
I'm pleased to hear Tipton have been successful. I've been trying to get my fbk in there for a couple of years.

Hopefully when the engine is fixed, I'll be able to book it in.
steveh120 Posted - 14 Sep 2018 : 22:04:14
Thanks Glen. If you're correct, I'm very happy with my figures! Irrespective, as I wrote, it's great to drive now anyway. Wish I'd had it properly tuned on a rolling road long ago....
bigt80 Posted - 14 Sep 2018 : 12:11:47
Thanks for the update Steve. If I am correct I think your H120 is a later one that doesn't have the orange airbox set up and a few other changes like vacuum retard on the dizzy - a slightly milder cam etc. These & other minor changes reduced the output by c. 10% from the original spec; so whilst I agree the figures Rootes quoted were optimistic & usually given 'Gross'; I would expect when new, BHP & torque would be c. 100 & 115 respectively. Cheers. G
steveh120 Posted - 12 Sep 2018 : 20:10:51
Hi Jason. Tipton garage, Tipton st George (couple of miles from sidmouth) Cheers. Steve
JPSH120 Posted - 11 Sep 2018 : 22:15:50
Hey, Steve.

Where did you take the car for the tune up?

Jason.

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000