Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Gallery
 Your Cars
 As from today: my white Fastback

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arran Posted - 16 Nov 2013 : 21:52:59
Yesterday we arrived shattered and tired after 1 hour Ferry and all together 10 hours train from Glasgow at about 20:45 in Newton Abbot. Luckily we got a good meal and had an early sleep at a good Best Western Hotel.

In the morning Esther brought us with the white Fastback «George»; and after all the paper work and the payment, the car became ours. Ester gave us also a good run and let me drive the first miles under her surveillance.

After this, we drove about 80 miles via Bristol over the oldder of the Severn Bridges and then continued a few miles further.

The car has a few funny ones: rev counter, temperature and petrol content dials are not working, but this is just a little blemish. Perhaps somebody has a good source to mend that, while we drive north? Otherwise the car had a very good behaviour. I was really quick in re-using the overdrive.

Has anyone an idea how the ratio Petrol to Additive should be? Apparently the car has not been converted to use straight unleaded. This is probably for me the most important issue at the moment, as we certainly need petrol.

So, many thanks in advance for any good information.

I will put up pics at a later day, todays were not really presentable...

Best greetings from the Isle of Arran in Scotland.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
NZ120H Posted - 25 Jul 2015 : 05:09:30
Dodgy fuel and temperature gauges can often be traced back to the voltage stabliser hidden under the dash and next to steering column. Replace it or obtain a better electronic version. Caerbont Automotive in Swansea make new clocks that operate on the car battery. Ensure you install a 3 amp line fuse in the supply to obviate the clock and earth cable burn out if there is a short in the supply line fed through a 35amp fuse.
Regards,

Brian.
Arran Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 10:32:19
Wonderful weather these last days. We have been in Edinburgh (with the KIA) but I compensed it by driving around the Isle of Arran quite a bit on Monday and Tuesday.
The Fastback got also his own parking space, as I needed somehow to prevent too much damp entering the distributor.

Arran Posted - 10 Mar 2015 : 17:55:24
I have found a new hobby: vectorising photo with Inkscape. Here an example of my fastback.

If anybody is interested in the technique, I might be of help. Just send me a pesonal message or an email.

bigt80 Posted - 04 Jan 2015 : 17:34:21
Sounds like you've gone for Glacier or something like that rather than the original Polar; is that right? We'll look forward to the pics when the better weather arrives . G
Arran Posted - 30 Dec 2014 : 23:44:43
As per today, I have now my fastback with a brand new white colour. It sparkles whiter as when it was new...

Happy new Year to all.

arrocuda Posted - 29 Aug 2014 : 20:36:00
Nothing wrong with a bit of pro independence campaigning. We could use a bit of that here in England, problem is they won't give us the chance to vote on it.

Vive La Republic!

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
Arran Posted - 27 Aug 2014 : 15:55:42
A couple of weeks ago on a perfect day on the Isle of Arran:

A bit of Pro-Independence canvassing has to be!

Arran Posted - 16 Aug 2014 : 16:33:53
Just a little hidden. Yesterday I had to wait a little for my local weekly until the paper shop reopened because they close while they prepare all the papers. By pure conicidence I had the camera with me and shot this view of our pitoresque «harbour». And guess what I was seeing on the pic?

arrocuda Posted - 22 May 2014 : 20:21:07
Good to hear that your car went through with no advisories. Seats are a problem if you are using the car as a daily drive. Apart from the safety issue, they aren't going to do your back any good if you spend more than the odd hour sat in them. If you want to keep the car original then you need to find some 'tombstones' out of a fastback Alpine but.... as I understand it you'd have a better chance of being kicked by a camel than finding some. I got around it by fabricating some new seat mounts and fitting a pair of tombstones from a Suzuki Swift which have a similar profile to the Alpine seats. There's a pic on my build thread.

As for the steering wheel they do come up on ebay from time to time, but I'd avoid buying a small one unless you've got biceps like Popeye. They are usually listed under Hillman Hunter. Saw a nice wooden one on the bay just a couple of months back. You might still be able to buy them new but I wouldn't have a clue where to look.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
Arran Posted - 16 May 2014 : 18:01:36
Hello again
In the time a number of things has been done.
· Today, I passed the MOT first time, with a totally clear space on what to do.
· The Rev-Counter is now working.
· The carburettors needed checking and it was diagnosed, that they were a bit loose. Here the problem was, that the car stopped when the engine run in idle speed. And then I had to wait about 10 minutes until I could get her to fire up again. Could be very awkward and I needed more than once a push to start.
· I have found a possible body work company at the other end of the Ferry, need to contact them in the near future.

Otherwise, all still really happy, especially me.

My family are a bit scared to be driven without the headrest at least on the front seats. Are there any suggestions here?

I would also like a smaller and much more sporty looking steering wheel. What do I have to look for, when I buy one?

Fastback Thomas Posted - 10 Dec 2013 : 22:03:44
Just some info.. The clock on my '68 USED to run on a small seperate battery.. About half the size of a normal AA-battery.. What fun would it be to replace one of those if only one could find the battery..

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
Arran Posted - 09 Dec 2013 : 12:25:12
Yes, clothes or a crocodile peg seems to be the good and easy solution. Thanks for suggesting this.

JPSH120 Posted - 09 Dec 2013 : 09:22:13
I'm pretty sure my choke cable has the lock function, probably not worn out because it doesn't get used!

I'll have to go in the garage and check when I get chance.

Clothes peg is the simple solution!

turbinecol Posted - 09 Dec 2013 : 09:01:46
The locking feature just wears out after time - one approach is to use a clothes peg to stop the choke sliding back. Some cables retain just enough stiffness to sit there on their own, or they wander back slowly enough that it is manageable.
bigt80 Posted - 08 Dec 2013 : 10:26:50
quote:
Originally posted by JPSH120

quote:
Originally posted by Arran

Hello

Is it normal, that I can not fix the choke when pulled out? I thought I could turn the knob to the left or right to fix it and then pushing in after a few minutes. But there is no turning possible and I do not want to use too much force.

Yes it should be possible to hold the knob in position, a clockwise turn IIRC.

? Although no choke on my H120, now I've got the kack-hander on the road I have to use choke; but there's no twist available with the standard knob/cable . You thinking of another car J? Cable on mine is quite tight so easy to put it where I need it. Maybe linkage on KFX is a bit loose? G.

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000