Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Gallery
 Your Restorations
 Rostyles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JPSH120 Posted - 06 Feb 2012 : 20:27:41
OK, so I have a set of rostyles with 'period' Goodyear tyres fitted. Although there are no visible signs of cracks etc in the tyres, given that they are 25 years old I think it would be wise to invest in a new set for normal use.

I plan to refurb a spare set of rostyles to take the Goodyears and use them as show wheels whilst putting the new rubber on the current wheels.

Question is do I attempt the wheel refurb (excluding shot blasting) myself or pay to have them done professionally.

Normally I would have a go myself but patience is not my strong point and all that masking puts me off!

Opinions....

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JPSH120 Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 20:57:48
quote:
Originally posted by turbinecol

i could have sworn I saw Mark painting the black quadrants with a brush at the end, but maybe I'm getting things confused with 'wheeler dealers'.

He did both to compare the results. The one that was done with enamel did look stunning but I bet it wasn't cheap.

I've had a look online at the masks you can get but not convinced by them.

turbinecol Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 20:45:36
i could have sworn I saw Mark painting the black quadrants with a brush at the end, but maybe I'm getting things confused with 'wheeler dealers'.
UMU Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 19:15:56
Ive uve seen A Car is Born then youll know that having them profesionally done, including powder coated is the way to go. itll give a finish youll be well chuffed with when at the shows

bigt80 Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 19:05:30
Yes, I've done a few sets in my time, but when I was younger and had more patience. I used Simca 'Arden Grey Metallic' for the closest match to orig silver colour, but that's unobtainable now I should imagine. I have one new original wheel if you need to confirm colour. I found hardest bit was the derusting where rim meets wheel centre. I sprayed the silver and then masked up after a few days to spray black. Last time I did them I had brush painted the black to save masking up and as they were matt and not gloss the results were fine: not concours though, but I was using mine every day in those days
turbinecol Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 11:43:17
Never used them, but I think you can buy masking sets for these. Could make life a little easier.
devnet H120 Posted - 07 Feb 2012 : 09:15:11
Currently looking to do something similar myself and I always like to try my hand first however I am always conscious that someone who refurbs all the time will do a better job than me and I may end up doing it myself, regretting it and getting them done anyway...

Depends how much of a perfectionist you are?!

devnet H120

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000