Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Gallery
 Your Restorations
 1922's Minx

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
1922 Posted - 16 Jan 2011 : 18:08:12
This the Minx I bought in 1985, a couple of years later I bought my '73 Rapier to drive while I restored the Minx. As you might expect, that plan didn't work out

As a few of you seemed to be interested in the Minx I've scanned a few photos in to post on the forum - while doing this I discovered just how many pictures I have of my '73 Rapier, I think I have more pictures of that than anything else!

Anyway - here it is a couple of days after I bought it. A photography enthusiast friend of mine took the pictures (hence the black & white) - don't be fooled though all those dark patches are actually rust brown!

Note the stylish rivetted on aluminium door bottoms and decorative underseal on the front mudguard and all over the engine bay and interior - lovely.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigt80 Posted - 08 Sep 2015 : 21:59:34
Ah, you've surfaced 1922 . I thought you'd emerged from months of work on the Minx! Seriously, you've done more than I have on the H120 though, but got garage reasonably clear now, so I could be out there this winter doing something! Oh, & welcome back to the forum . G.
1922 Posted - 07 Sep 2015 : 21:16:11
Been so busy on other things I haven't got much more done but got petrol tank, brake mechanism, clutch, prop-shaft and exhaust all fitted. It runs and one of the brakes works.

Hoping to get more done over the winter.

jimlagos Posted - 02 Apr 2015 : 22:45:11
What an impressive series of photos. This amount of "salvage" work is beyond the call of duty! My last epic attempt was an Austin A40 Farina, which as most of us old fellahs know used to dissolve in rain.
Eventually I became bored with it, sold it in tip top condition, at a great financial loss, and bought a series 4 Rapier. This had been a dream since I was 14 years old. Unfortunately I've now discovered that I bought a mechanical nightmare.

jim
jimlagos Posted - 02 Apr 2015 : 22:37:52
What an impressive series of photos. This amount of "salvage" work is beyond the call of duty! My last epic attempt was an Austin A40 Farina, which as most of us old fellahs know used to dissolve in rain.
Eventually I became bored with it, sold it in tip top condition, at a great financial loss, and bought a series 4 Rapier. This had been a dream since I was 14 years old. Unfortunately I've now discovered that I bought a mechanical nightmare.

jim
1922 Posted - 19 Oct 2014 : 21:43:22
Got a bit done.
Cleaned and painted the bottom/

janmarine3 Posted - 04 Jun 2014 : 09:50:26
How is the Minx getting along ?
1922 Posted - 30 Apr 2014 : 17:37:09
Engine in

1922 Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 13:26:44
Home at last!
Time for engine, brakes, steering and electrics!

1922 Posted - 07 Mar 2011 : 18:18:51
quote:
Originally posted by Jon

Is it ford purple velvet met?
Nice colour in the sunshine

Yup - spot on

Jon Posted - 07 Mar 2011 : 18:14:37
Is it ford purple velvet met?
Nice colour in the sunshine

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Dodge spaceavan Auto sleeper,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,
1922 Posted - 07 Mar 2011 : 10:48:57
I went to visit it last week but it looks pretty much the same so I didn't bother with any pictures.
The plan is metallic purple - the original 'Smoke Grey' colour looks like something left over from painting battleships during the war, a colour so mind numbingly boring it makes me sleepy just thinking about it.
Some of the pictures show the boot lid in the purple colour - I sprayed the boot lid a few years ago to see how it would look.

Jon Posted - 06 Mar 2011 : 09:46:59
Hows the minx coming along? Looks like its nearly ready for paint? What colour is she going to be?

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Dodge spaceavan Auto sleeper,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,
janmarine3 Posted - 19 Feb 2011 : 19:34:53
This is a cool rare car !
It will all be more than worth it when you hit the road with it.
Good job.
1922 Posted - 19 Feb 2011 : 19:13:09
Some more progress made on the Minx.

arrocuda Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 17:00:20
quote:
Originally posted by 1922

That was part of the original plan which also included a Jaguar rear end, Ford Corsair V4 engine (only because I had one in the shed), hydraulic brakes and Wolfrace slot mags.

But then I discovered how rare these cars are so I bought a Rapier to drive fast instead

I've got an XJ6 jag IRS in the lock up if you're interested! Seriously though.... I agree! These old Minx's are the proverbial rocking horse doo's these days. Not seen one on the bay for some time. Have to admit though I would have been keen to take the cutting gear to it myself 25 years ago.

There are plenty of better (less rare) cars around for practicing 'cut and shut' roof skills on. Funnily enough.... was only the other night I dreamt I had a PT cruiser. Has this guy lost his marbles?? I hear you thinking! Anyway.... I dreamt I had this PT Cruiser and I chopped the complete front end off of it. I then remember getting very stressed about it as I hadn't propped up the front and it was on the floor in two halves. I can't remember what exactly happened next, but it involved laying a ladder underneath it and something to do with a motorbike engine. (Don't ask!) Then a friend of mine turned up with the front end of a car in the boot of his car. It looked very small in the boot of his car but was normal sized when we got it out. Remember.... this is a dream, so anything is possible!

Anyways... he told me it was off of a Jowett Javelin which seemed reasonable to me at the time, but to be honest it looked sod all like the front of a Jowett Javelin. We set about fitting it to the PT but was woken by my partner yanking on the duvet. I tried to go back to it to see what happened (like you do), but the thread of the dream was lost. Just out of interest, a couple of days later, I googled Jowett Javelin and you know.... I think I'm on to something here!

Has to be one for when I finish the project car..... but I'll keep the Jag IRS to one side for now.... just in case!

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000